What toilet do plumbers buy?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregTheC

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

We’re having our bathroom remodeled and replacing a 40 year old toilet and I’m seeking advice for the new one. Our requirements are pretty simple. We want a standard height 2 piece toilet, maybe with one of those new-fangled elongated bowls. My question for this forum and maybe professional plumbers is what toilet do you like? You know, one that lasts long, well made, easier to repair, etc. Also, flushes well, keeps clean, etc. (There’s lots of new toilet tech out there and it’s confusing). We get decent rain in Pennsylvania so I don’t think we need super water efficient.

What toilets do the plumbers buy? Plumbers, what say ye?!

In advance, thanks!

Greg

I'm not a plumber, but I've seen quote a few on other forums recommend the Toto Drake. It's what I have & it flushes well. It's got a 3" flush mechanism and 1000MaP score. The newer ones come with a tower flushing system instead of a flapper. They are more expensive than some of the other toilets out there. I like that it flushes well but doesn't splash up like some of the commercial American Standard toilets.

If you are 61 years old, you should get a taller ADA or comfort height toilet.

Sooner or later, your knees or back or hips will give out.

They are so much easier to get on and off.
And easier for a helper or caretaker to help you clean up, if you have an illness or become less mobile, even temporarily.

I have several clients with older Toto toilets with the three inch flapper, and overall they are very pleased with them.

The newer Toto style with the goofy aqua piston flush valve so far is not a big hit, several have begun to leak pretty early in their lifespan.

American standard Cadet Pro comfort height, elongated bowl with a slow close seat. 569.00 complete with removal of the old unit. We do about 50 a year.

Hi Gang,
Great information everyone, thank you sooooo much. Regarding the taller toilets, I neglected to mention to that while I’m 5’9”, my wife is 4’11”, so a standard height john may be the way to go.
I’ll research your suggestions and post back when I make a decision. Thanks again!
Greg

Hi Gang,
Great information everyone, thank you sooooo much. Regarding the taller toilets, I neglected to mention to that while I’m 5’9”, my wife is 4’11”, so a standard height john may be the way to go.
I’ll research your suggestions and post back when I make a decision. Thanks again!
Greg

Western ADA elongated. Installed one and after the height challenged family members used, I had to do the entire house (3 more) with the same
Get your wife “the squatty potty” you guys won’t regret going this route

Hi Gang,
Greg

Both of you need to go to the local supermarket and sit on a HC terlet
then sit on the regular terlet
then decide.

Get your wife “the squatty potty” you guys won’t regret going this route

Absolutely agree on this point. My wife is also height-challenged ,to put it mildly, and she hates the Kohler Cimarron tall bowl, even though it is the only one in the house that does not clog. We had room in our bathroom for two fixtures. One is the Cimarron and the other is a bidet. One day we'll replace the bidet with a squatty bowl, but that will reduce the value of the house, as some females swear by bidets as a must-have in the bathroom.

Absolutely agree on this point. My wife is also height-challenged ,to put it mildly, and she hates the Kohler Cimarron tall bowl, even though it is the only one in the house that does not clog. We had room in our bathroom for two fixtures. One is the Cimarron and the other is a bidet. One day we'll replace the bidet with a squatty bowl, but that will reduce the value of the house, as some females swear by bidets as a must-have in the bathroom.

Aloha Mark

Whether I didn’t explain well enough or you misread/interpreted, either way....
We have all ADA elongated toilets. They short people love them and won’t go back.

The “Squatty Potty” is a unique step for toilets (as seen on shark tank)
Think you can get at all the big box stores.

I think I forgot to mention the Toto Entrada. It is a lot cheaper than the Toto Drake (you can get it for under $200) & it has the 3" flush. It comes in standard height as well.

We have the squatty potty and it can be helpful sometimes. It tucks up close to the toilet so it doesn't really get in the way of our legs.

I'm not a plumber, but I've seen quote a few on other forums recommend the Toto Drake. It's what I have & it flushes well. It's got a 3" flush mechanism and 1000MaP score. The newer ones come with a tower flushing system instead of a flapper. They are more expensive than some of the other toilets out there. I like that it flushes well but doesn't splash up like some of the commercial American Standard toilets.
Hey, totally agree with you, I replaced my toilet with the TOTO Drake and my family loves it.
Yes, the MaP score is important, which determines the flush power.
I used a few good resources to help decide the best MaP flush. Could help taking a look at this TOTO toilet site at flush scores and it listed the Drake.
But yes the Drake is doing a great job for us! I'd recommend it.

If a toilet has anything but a flapper, don’t buy it.

Flush towers and the such are gimmicks.

I personally like the flush tower because it doesn't get misaligned or have issues like my flappers did. I haven't had to do maintenance on the tower system yet. I will also put in a vote for the chair/comfort height Toto Entrada. My friend has one and it has the same MaP score as the Drake. It is also less expensive. For shorter people it is more comfortable than the ADA height Drake. I'm 5'5" and standard Drake is too short for me but my feet dangle ever so slightly on the ADA one. I find the Entrada to be more comfortable.

Latest posts

Back