what to do with shower stall installation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamothe1

Reaction score
I’m rebuilding my shower stall. I was going to put 40 lb felt on the wall then Hardiboard on top of that and seal it with “redguard”. Well I got a little carried away. I put up the Hardiboard ,but forgot to put my 40 lb felt behind it. Now I’m wondering if I should remove the Hardiboard and install the felt or just forget it as I’m positive that the redguard will seal the moisture from getting through.

My recommendation is to do it the correct way. Any moisture build up will rot your walls and it is cheap insurance, and required, not just recommended.

but won't the redguard seal the moisture from getting into the hardiboard and beyond?.

Probably, but Redguard can and will leak, especially with contracting and expanding. Did you also tape and mud the joints?

i will, but haven't got that far yet. saw a couple of u-tube videos where they say not to put a moisture barrier behind the hardiboard where it can breath so mold can't start.

Felt is not a true moisture barrier, but separates the concrete from the wood studs. Remember, wood and anything concrete are not a good mix without some sort of substrate between them.

I’m rebuilding my shower stall. I was going to put 40 lb felt on the wall then Hardiboard on top of that and seal it with “redguard”. Well I got a little carried away. I put up the Hardiboard ,but forgot to put my 40 lb felt behind it. Now I’m wondering if I should remove the Hardiboard and install the felt or just forget it as I’m positive that the redguard will seal the moisture from getting through.
I suggest you post over at John Bridge tile and

I suggest you try posting at John Bridge Tile. They can help you with the details needed for the use of Hardi and Red Guard
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1
BTW... RedGuard is a good product when done correctly. There are a few others that someone there may recommend. I wouldn't use it as a floor membrane, IMO...
-Brian

I use Johnbridge.com quite a bit. I love to see the ideas and designs that are posted by their professionals.

Having recently done a novice shower at my sons house, with the help from JB Forum, I used Kerdi over Hardi. Kerdi is another waterproofing method. I did not use anything behind the Hardi board, nor do I remember being told to. Had I known sooner, I would have just used sheetrock with the Kerdi applied to it or just use Kerdi board and not the Hardi.

Latest posts

Back