what supports do the pros prefer?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartleyhs

Reaction score
I was wondering what straps or supports are preferred for PVC horizontal waste lines. I was planning to use the gray plastic straps, but I have seen sturdy rigid hangers that look better. These hangers cost a fortune by the time I do one every 4’, but I will spend the extra money if that is the best practice.
I thought I should check here for advice before I continue.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
Would these work? They say plastic coated and aren’t too expensive.
But you specified rubber. Does it need to be rubber not plastic?

Attachments

• D9CC0F87-1754-4901-9254-279CA05EF795.png
    D9CC0F87-1754-4901-9254-279CA05EF795.png
    572.4 KB · Views: 17
Thats one style yes what you show is what i meant
you may want to check out coated a-band hangers more money invoves a little more work but easier to slde the pipe through once they are up the coated strap hangers will bend when you slide the pipe through if your nog careful

Thanks for the reply.
Would these work? They say plastic coated and aren’t too expensive.
But you specified rubber. Does it need to be rubber not plastic?

you may want to check out coated a-band hangers more money invoves a little more work but easier to slde the pipe through once they are up the coated strap hangers will bend when you slide the pipe through if your nog careful

Yes, I see how those would be better. I will research pricing and then decide.
Thanks again

We use simpler j-hooks. Dunno if it's not quite the look you're going for, but they're less than half the price. PVC pipes snap right in, and won't budge. They're nice and rigid, so you just have to make sure you're installing them level.

If your pipe is too low to get a pair of nails on these to keep them steady, that other style works better, however, as they can be longer.

Just another option.

553-7w-4.jpg

We use simpler j-hooks. Dunno if it's not quite the look you're going for, but they're less than half the price. PVC pipes snap right in, and won't budge. They're nice and rigid, so you just have to make sure you're installing them level

I was originally planning to use these these, but it looks like they only work if the pipes are straight inline or perpendicular with the joists. I have a couple places where the pipes run at an angle across the joists and I can’t see how these would nail into the joists in that instance. Am I missing something? It would be nice if the hook at the bottom swiveled, but it doesn’t look like it does.
Thanks.

There's a place to nail the j-hook on an angle. Check it out before you buy.

Last edited:
This has been very helpful. Surprisingly 2” pipe supports are hard to find stocked at the stores, and I am in a big city. Ace and other hardware stores offered ship to store options but would take too long. Lowes had the best selection, but not much in stock, so I went with a combination of the 4 in 1 and J hooks.
Thanks Breplum for mentioning the blocks between the joists. That was going to be my next question.
Thanks again for the help, You guys are the best.

Try a plumbing supply house they will have them
This has been very helpful. Surprisingly 2” pipe supports are hard to find stocked at the stores, and I am in a big city. Ace and other hardware stores offered ship to store options but would take too long. Lowes had the best selection, but not much in stock, so I went with a combination of the 4 in 1 and J hooks.
Thanks Breplum for mentioning the blocks between the joists. That was going to be my next question.
Thanks again for the help, You guys are the best.

Latest posts

Back