what size ballcock cone washer for toilet supply riser?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich39

Reaction score
This is for a 3/8" rigid chrome-plated copper supply line, going into a Fluidmaster 400. What exact size do I need? Should the base of the washer fill the plastic nut ID of 7/8" ? Or does it expand to fill it when tightened?

Also, about how much should be the cost? Thank you.

--
Rich W

The fluid master come with a new cone washer. Just peel it out of the middle of the rubber you put on bottom of the 400A

The fluid master come with a new cone washer. Just peel it out of the middle of the rubber you put on bottom of the 400A
Thanks, but I just want to buy a washer separately. The current fill valve still works fine.

Those washers use to be pretty easy to get at the supply houses, but I haven't used that set up in years. Make it easy on
yourself and just buy a 12" braided toilet supply line. Lot less chance of a leak.braided toilet supply.jpg

Those washers use to be pretty easy to get at the supply houses, but I haven't used that set up in years. Make it easy on
yourself and just buy a 12" braided toilet supply line. Lot less chance of a leak.View attachment 17913

I here you. I still have a beading tool. Old school guys like me and Frodo know what that is.
I'm guessing that most plumbers with less than 10 yrs exp. even know what a beading tool is.
I opened a box looking for a cone washer a couple weeks ago. They were hard and crumbled when you squeezed them.:(

yourself and just buy a 12" braided toilet supply line. Lot less chance of a leak.View attachment 17913
Thanks, I'd thought of that but the problem is I can't really tell what the connection is at the bottom of the riser because it goes into the floor. The riser is soldered into some type of hex fitting/adapter that I can't see very well. It might have a male end that threads into the supply beneath that. It must be over 50 years old, and I'm leery of putting a wrench on it.

How long would a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve generally be expected to last? If I can't find the slip joint cone washer, then maybe I'll just buy a whole new fill valve, as Mr_David said.

But does anybody know the diameter of the base of the cone washer that I need? It goes into a 7/8" plastic nut. Should it be 7/8" as an exact initial fit, or should it be 5/8" because it's meant to expand into the 7/8" plastic nut?

Rich, a lot times we use to use a chrome lavatory line. Stick the round part in the fill valve and then the
washer. Never had to worry about the line pulling out. Can you take a picture of what you have at the floor area. If you can't see the hook up there can you see it below in the basement or crawl space. If you are determined to use the washer just go to the hardware store and tell them you need the supply washer that goes into the bottom of the ballcock.

Last edited:
Back