What should I do with this sump pump pit?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbmsv

Reaction score
Hello experts,

I have this pit in my house and everything about it seems wrong but I am not sure how I can make it right. Please forgive my ignorance but I am not sure I even understand everything here... The big black cylinder seems to be a check valve for the sewer but then what is the white pipe in the pit? Is that the storm drainage pipe? What is the small black pipe, which is cut open?

Any help in understanding this situation and any advice on how it should be re-worked will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG-20190421-202711212.jpg

IMG-20190421-203229789.jpg

IMG-20190421-203040142.jpg

if your not handy leave it as is that pump looks older so I would buy a back up pump handy so you could change it out the make smaller float type pumps you can get at home depot yes that's a check valve at the base of the pump that cut open pipe could be some kind of exterior ground water drain or it was part of the piping before that pump....that white pipe could be your main drain but that's just a guess

I understand that the pump is old and I am going to replace it and possibly add a backup as well but my main concern is with the pit itself. It is very very shallow and there is no liner. I want to make it deeper and install a proper liner but with this big white pipe in the way I guess I won't be able to simply dig this hole deeper. Also, let's say I moved it slightly somehow and made it deeper, now, how do I properly connect the drain tile (that corrugated pipe in the last picture) to the pit?

With regards to the check valve, I was asking about the big black cylinder in the back, not the one in the base of the pump. The latter I've just installed two days ago as previously there was no valve in the pump's discharge line.

Just in case someone is interested I had two local plumbers looking at this and both explained that the white pipe is a storm sewer and the big black cylinder is a check valve for the storm sewer. There is no backwater valve for the sanitary sewer in the installation.

Latest posts

Back