What precautions to take cleaning out tanks and drains??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twlzt3d

Reaction score
Are there any dangers in being a septic tank truck cleaner? Cleaning out septic tanks and also cleaning sewer/septic drain pipes via the cleanout etc? I have been in the industry a short time and would like to take all precautions to remain healthy and out of danger if there are any. Should i wear a mask doing this job? Or any other safety precautions?

Safety precaution #1...get all of your shots. Some companies will either pay for them or their insurance company will. Even if you have to pay for it, it's worth it.
The others are what you would expect. Protect eyes, hands, don't get poop in your mouth. Wash your hands even if you were wearing gloves. If your fabric clothes get exposed to any sewage and you have a family, keep your laundry separate and find a local coin-op or wash-house if you can afford it. I always worry that my family will end up with something that I may bring home.

It's a nasty job, but someone else will do it if you don't
Good advice from Plumb-Crazy.
Keep your mouth closed and wear safety glasses.
Some people are more susceptible to infectious disease than others.
I've seen tank pumpers hold a suction hose in one hand while eating a burrito with the other. I had my share of getting splashed in the face with sewage and I haven't contracted anything that I am aware of.

This is not meant to sound rude, but if you have to ask these questions, you should work for a company that does the kind of work you want to do.
You say you have been in the industry, but you didn't say doing what.
There are numerous things to be very cautious about, most of witch cant really be told or said, but must be learned with on the job training from someone who has been there and knows what to do, and what not to do.

Again, this is not meant to sound rude, but what you want to start doing is not that hard, but can be dangerous if not done correctly.

Seems like a crappy job to me! (I know, oldest line in the book, but I had to add something here!)

You should Get your shots for sure, Wear clothes that you can hose down and dry overnight when you go home, and Be Aware of the Dangerous gasses that a septic tank contains First and foremost being hydrogen sulphide which Will kill you quicker then you can get out of a tank ( DONT ENTER THE TANK UNTILL YOU ARE PROPERLY TRAINED TO DO SO ) h2s Is explosive also.

This is not meant to sound rude, but if you have to ask these questions, you should work for a company that does the kind of work you want to do.
You say you have been in the industry, but you didn't say doing what.
There are numerous things to be very cautious about, most of witch cant really be told or said, but must be learned with on the job training from someone who has been there and knows what to do, and what not to do.

Again, this is not meant to sound rude, but what you want to start doing is not that hard, but can be dangerous if not done correctly.

Dont sweat it, reason I asked these questions is basically I had not very much safety training for this position. Things were said under breathe so to speak and jokingly from fellow co-workers etc but no REAL training so I am basically field training myself as well as researching on the net from folks such as you. I been in the industry (Septic pumping/Drain snaking) for 1 year so far. Only reason I do it really, is the money, its VERY good w/ the company I work for. Thats not to say money outweighs the dangers cuz it certainly does not.

I been sick alot more since I started this job than it seems my whole life. Its almost as if every 2nd or 3rd week im sick w/ a what seems to be a cold, flu or something to that extent. I'm now getting ready to leave to the doctors as we speak for a checkup and to see what the heck is going on and this time i will be sure to explain my profession to them just so they know or have something to go on. Now I have a fever every nite w/ 102+ temp, sweatin my bajeezus off and a sore throat that feels like razor blades when i swallow to which i havent had that since i was a youngin in my teens followed w/ muscular aches and pains all thruout my body like i been at the gym 24/7 a week straight.

So hopefully this clarifies the concern i have here & why im asking, in short im tired of being sick! Seems im sick more than im healthy the past year!

I'll check back in later and thank ALL of you for the feedback, much appreciated.

although I am pretty sure its not Dysentery, dysentery can be present in septic systems and it involves a fever and body ache ( usually in the abdomenol region )

You should do some research and Make damn sure you get your shots .

:)

Yeah, Its a nasty job. why dont you just call a professional? anyway, you should wear a mask. septic tanks has "something" in it that produces methane. :D

There is a little bit risk whenever you enter in the tank, so for your good health you should wear oxygen mask.

Back