what kind of screwless faucet washer do I need?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbclem

Reaction score
Gardening...outside hose spigot innards  P1230052.JPG
Where there usually is a threaded hole for the faucet washer screw, this old outdoor faucet has a fixed brass nubby and it looks like the faucet washer/seal has to be slipped onto the nubby. I've tried that with the rubber washers/seals I have but they don't fit right and pop off after the faucet is used for a week or two.

I know I can replace the faucet with a new conventional one, but I'd like to know what to do with this one and what kind of seal is supposed to be used. The faucet itself looks like any common outside faucet designed to be attached to a garden hose.

It looks like the 'barb' that holds the washer in place has gotten worn down, or is that just the picture.

Also, if the valve seat has gotten abused it may be rough enough to stick to the washer and pull it out of the barb, take a look at the valve seat and see if it can be cleaned, reseated, or replaced.

I'd probably bite the bullet and swap the whole thing, but worth trying Geofd's suggestion first.

It looks like the 'barb' that holds the washer in place has gotten worn down, or is that just the picture.

Also, if the valve seat has gotten abused it may be rough enough to stick to the washer and pull it out of the barb, take a look at the valve seat and see if it can be cleaned, reseated, or replaced.

I'd probably bite the bullet and swap the whole thing, but worth trying Geofd's suggestion first.
The "barb" looks worn because I grabbed it with some pliers to see if it was screwed in. My latest washer replacement lasted one day before it popped off. Right now I've got double washers just to see if that works, but it still drips a bit. I have a replacement faucet (used one) on hand which I'll install tomorrow...and if the seat on the old one looks ok I'll try to find a "push on washer" next time I'm at a hardware store.

Is "push on washer" the correct name? Also, what are the better quality outside faucet brands?

Latest posts

Back