What Is This Connection Called

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadlander

Reaction score
I need to find out what this push-in and e-clip connection used in almost all water softener by-pass valves is called.

I need the name so I can search for copper male ends to solder into 1" pipe.

I have checked with 6 plumbing supply houses and NONE of the staff there has any idea as to what these connections are called.

Then, I realized I need to ask the working experts out there, so please help. Thanks.Water Softener Standard Bypass Valve 7345388.jpg

I have not used those, I make mine from real valves as Mitchell said.
I have only done a few, but stainless ball valves with lever handles will beat that plastic junk any day.
And the valves are rarely operated.
I can see that flimsy plastic plunger seizing up or snapping when finally operated.

However, I don’t see the mystery here.

It looks like the two stubs with o rings on the valve body will insert into the softener control head, held by c clips.

Those two nipples then are inserted and clipped on, and they have either 1/2 or 3/4 inch male pipe threads.

So you just need copper female adapters of that same size, sweated to your pipes.

What am I missing here?

I have only done a few, but stainless ball valves with lever handles will beat that plastic junk any day.
I can see that flimsy plastic plunger seizing up or snapping when finally operated.

It looks like the two stubs with o rings on the valve body will insert into the softener control head, held by c clips.

Those two nipples then are inserted and clipped on, and they have either 1/2 or 3/4 inch male pipe threads.

So you just need copper female adapters of that same size, sweated to your pipes.

What am I missing here?
How about the name this particular plumbing union is called by? This union is commonly used on these water softener by-pass valves, but they must their own unique name, just as everything else does in the plumbing universe. Thanks anyway.

You don’t need any special goofy named parts.

You are attaching to standard male pipe thread on the ends of those nipples.

Standard copper or brass female pipe thread unions will attach from there.

What exactly is so hard to understand about that?

Buy two brass unions in the same size female pipe thread as the male thread of your plastic nipples.
One end screws onto your nipples.
The other ends can screw onto copper male adapters, which you can solder onto your copper pipes.
If this does not make sense, hire a pro plumber. 3AA55D64-CC52-4B1B-971A-1009C205941B.png

Buy two brass unions in the same size female pipe thread as the male thread of your plastic nipples.
One end screws onto your nipples.
The other ends can screw onto copper male adapters, which you can solder onto your copper pipes.
If this does not make sense, hire a pro plumber. View attachment 27351
Never asked how to replace it, just asked for the name.

What am I missing here?
You are missing that I just asked for what the name is of the o-ring unions used in these by-pass valves. I never asked how to replace it, just asked for the name. Unfortunately, that is what you are missing. But thanks for answering a non-existent question.

You obviously have not properly read the answers you already received.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Softener-Bypass-Valve-Assembly/dp/B074DQ96JM
You do not know the difference between a water softener by-pass valve and a unique o-ring connection. And you do not understand there is a difference and different names. Try going in to any plumbing supply store and asking for these copper ends that uses the o-rings to sweat into elbows or other copper slip fittings. OK, what would you call them or describe them? Saying they are by-pass valve fittings is no accurate and the parts guys will shake their heads at you.

Being a rude little ***** and insulting everyone is not a good way to get help.How about you use that giant brain that makes you so much smarter than everyone else and solve the problem yourself. You have been given good help and advice from some of the the friendliest and knowledgeable people around and decide to instead spit in their eye! Not the smartest decision. Good luck finding your info.:lightening:

YOU do not know how to ask a specific and precisely worded question, your own lack of precision led to this lengthy and meandering thread.
People on here, including me, are happy to help, but some people are harder to help than others.

If you assemble your softener bypass valve without unions that can be unscrewed, you will yourself be screwed if you ever need to take off the control head of the softener, to remove calcium, replace seals etc.

Unless you have a ton of loose play in your copper pipes, your sweated connections are going to make it very tough to get the control head off for service.

YOU do not know how to ask a specific and precisely worded question, your own lack of precision led to this lengthy and meandering thread.
People on here, including me, are happy to help, but some people are harder to help than others.

If you assemble your softener bypass valve without unions that can be unscrewed, you will yourself be screwed if you ever need to take off the control head of the softener, to remove calcium, replace seals etc.

Unless you have a ton of loose play in your copper pipes, your sweated connections are going to make it very tough to get the control head off for service.
As I specifically asked, very courteously, what is the O-ring union called. Only one reply offered a constructive suggestion. The rest who replied and actually thought informing me a by-pass "valve" is called a by-pass valve is considered to be a legit answer is telling. It was interesting that others were glad to tell me how to build alternative solutions to phantom problems I never asked to be solved were also telling.

When my union plumber friends with over 20+ years experience had to answer to my question and one suggested the collective expertise at plumbers forum just might know what the specific name for the o-ring union is, I was hopeful. Guys, thanks for trying, but like I said, there was only one constructive reply from someone who actually bothered to correctly read my question. Not trying to be ungrateful, but the content of the responses to the specific question was underwhelming along with some snippy remarks. IF you have taken affront to not understanding the question and just did not know what that union is called, that is ok as no one knows everything.

Latest posts

Back