What is this bathroom sink line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bclown90

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum here, and just looking for some insight on the below picture.

We're selling our house, and the buyers home inspectors found a bathroom sink draining slowly. Their comment was:

Master Bathroom Sink/Basin: Porcelain - Sink on the left side is draining real slow, a 3/4" PVC line under the sink is plumbed in for some reason and needs to be removed and drain to be draining properly. A licensed plumber should evaluate the issue.

I seriously doubt this is a drain line (only thing that makes sense to me is a vent line). I cleaned the drain trap, it was full, and the sink drains great now. Our buyers are still asking us to bring a plumber in to remove this line per the home inspection note.

I've never seen anything plumbed like this before, but I think it's just fine. Am I missing something? Is there anything wrong with having the extra line going into the drain line?

Screenshot_20201124-135125.png

Maybe a pumped condensate line from something? Investigate a bit more. See if you can spot that pipe coming out in another area around there.

I have not been able to find that pipe coming out anywhere. It is a double vanity, (pictured is the left sink), and the right sink does not have this line. To the right of the vanity is the toilet, and across from that a stand-up shower with a drain in the center of the shower floor. A jetted tub is directly across from the vanities, but aside from those items, there are no other drains in the bathroom, nor any other plumbing on that side of the house.

Looks very low to be a condensation line. Maybe a water softener discharge line.

The furnace is actually directly over the bathroom in the attic. I didn't even consider that as a possibility. There is no water softener (city water, hard) and the water heater is in the garage on the other side of the house.

it is the condensate drain for the hvac unit
ok that mystery is solved, now lets address the drain.
it is exiting the wall to low.
the line needs to move up. it has to exit the wall above the elevation of the connection to the tee
see the red line

cut the wall. move pipe up. patch the wall
hook the drain back up

OR
1_8_bend.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201124-135125.png
    Screenshot_20201124-135125.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
the line needs to move up. it has to exit the wall above the elevation of the connection to the tee
see the red line

hook the drain back up

OR
View attachment 26496

Got it. I'll look into these options and see what works. Thanks for solving this mystery for me!

see the red line

hook the drain back up

OR
View attachment 26496
The drain you have in the picture is for a secondary condensation drain so you notice that the primary drain is clogged, that needs to terminate above a window or a conspicuous place. The primary drain needs to terminate into an approved drain like it is but needs slope like you said.

You can also run it exterior like your picture but needs to come all the way down to the ground and drain into a dry well.

Back