What is the correct fitting?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

europe72dead

Reaction score
hello, I'm replacing a fitting that connects my sink to a wet/dry vent. I’m wondering why there’s a clean out fitting here instead of a sanitary tee? This is from 1929, the wet vent is a 2” lead pipe, the dry vent is 2” galvanized steel.

replace fitting with san tee, correct?

DC27C7DE-2677-45F3-BEEE-E61E884AA677.jpeg

What I thought, thanks for confirming. Was planning on replacing the lead with pvc on the wet vent side and using a fernco after the sanitary tee to connect to the galvanized dry vent. I shouldn’t have second guessed myself.

did they not have sanitary tees in the 20s?

Check the galvanized vent. A lot of those are plugged from years of rust and birds and what not.

I understand lead is dangerous and should be removed, but I have to comment on the workmanship on the leaded joint. It really is a work of art, and kudos to the plumbing craftsmen and women of yesteryears

I replace lead drains when given the opportunity because they’re usually worn out and my drain cable will go right through the wall of the pipe when it’s worn out.

Most of the galvanized vents I find are in great condition, but not all. Depends on several factors but one being how much sewer gas the vent is venting.

Latest posts

Back