What is all this stuff in the toilet tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMichaels

Reaction score
Hello, I drained my tank to replace the gasket. And the water I scooped out had a ton of this weird brown sediment type stuff. The toilet isn't very old maybe two or three years at most. We are on well water. So, what is it and how concerning is it? We checked the well water for drinkability when we bought the house in 2019 and everything was fine (except radon that we now mitigate with a whole house filter system). It looks a little like rust. It breaks apart and just becomes a brown smudge when I touch it. The pics should help:

Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thank you both. Based on your answers I decided not to worry too much, replaced the gasket and sent it. No longer leaking so that is the main thing. Do some people try to mitigate that or best to just pretend it isn't there?

You should have a filter, just a simple one for all water used in the house, you can install one yourself for <$50. If you have a water softener that silt can cause problems with it, and a water heater also.

Latest posts

Back