what have I got?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you have to hold your tongue,

when you walk in and the cat piss damn near knocks you down.
or trash is piled up in 200 black bags
or you have to kick the dirty clothes out of your way
Hey, when were you in my house? You just described it! :p

hardest calls are old people, that are lonley for conversation, kids dont come to visit.
some of they are very interesting to talk to. but, I AM ON THE CLOCK
I can sit and drink tea and talk all day, I gotta charge for it

if you want to stand and look over my shoulder. I have AND WILL put your butt to work.
i will tell a nosey owner to go get such and such off the truck in a minute.
that usually puts a stop to it
LOL. I'm one of those over-the-shoulder chatty people. But I do offer to help and gladly go and get stuff from the truck if needed.

Hey, when were you in my house? You just described it! :p

LOL. I'm one of those over-the-shoulder chatty people. But I do offer to help and gladly go and get stuff from the truck if needed.

next time you look over a plumbers shoulder, look on the bill
down at the bottom, under parts:rolleyes:

AC qty 1 @ $39.98 [aggravating customer]
OR
CWA qty 1 @ $39.98 [can of whoop ass]

next time you look over a plumbers shoulder, look on the bill
down at the bottom, under parts:rolleyes:

AC qty 1 @ $39.98 [aggravating customer]
OR
CWA qty 1 @ $39.98 [can of whoop ass]

LOL! I'm not quite up in their grills all the time, but I usually hover a little to see if they need something, but I know sometimes I can be overly chatty if I haven't interacted with people outside the house in awhile. (Gee, I bet you never guessed that I'm a talker given the length of my posts) :p

My former plumber was a chatty cathy. He liked to talk to people while he worked and he would tell me all about the history of the house and such.

When the guy comes to work on the pump, I man the circuit breaker and a nearby faucet so I can flip things on and off for him so he doesn't have to walk back and forth.

But I'm pretty sure I can get annoying at times. LOL.

SO the deal is that I have a dry well, not a leach field. The 40ft single line running to it was 70years old and like many 70 yr olds, wasn't feeling too well and was replaced by schedule 80 pipe. That line runs under where we park and also where oil delivery trucks probably did too, IN THE PAST. Our driveway is "L" shaped, the long straightaway has NO pipes under it and in the future ALL trucks will park there. The Sch 80 pipe is buried no less than about 2 ft under ground and runs deeper as it gets to the dry well. It was a the long overdue upgrade.

Update. A new line was run from a septic tank installed a couple of years ago and the line is #80 PVC dumping into an old dry well. It's buried correctly and works well. Thing is, everything ends up there, toilet, sink, washing machine. I'm buying a lint filter to at least keep lint from entering the system. Can't afford a leach field to replace the dry well and the well sometimes has that special odor. It's covered with large rocks to aerate it I imagine. Anything that can be done?

...the well sometimes has that special odor. It's covered with large rocks to aerate it I imagine. Anything that can be done?

John_F_Kennedy_eternal_flame_after_2013_upgrade_-_2013-05-30.jpg

Does the odor come directly from the well or the rooftop vent?

Far as I know from the work that's been done, the waste line is "sealed" from the house to the septic tank all the way to the dry well. So the odor coming from the well. Meanwhile, that's a very interesting photo to sent (thanks). Frankly, the care in laying that out is much more serious than the pile of loose rocks covering where the well is here which was done many decades ago. Say, rooftop vent? Very funny! No such animal lives here. I have the feeling we'll be living with this forever and just glad the house is upstream from the smell. The one other thing I'm considering is creating another dry well specifically for the washing machine. At least with that I already trenched out 25 feet for a french drain five years ago that keeps running water from a hill behind the house from washing out our gravel driveway. Figure a well could be put at the end of that trench and re-pupose it for two things.

Last edited:
If the well is open, fumes will escape. It has to vent somewhere.

You may want to contact your local AHJ (don't give too many details) and ask if the (a) well setup (such as yours is still allowable).

Septic- Cesspool-Dry Well Combo.jpg

Back