What do you recommend for our sewer line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver

Reaction score
Once a year for the past 2 years, our sewer line has become obstructed. We got some estimates as to how the fix the problem. We have a 50 year old clay sewer pipe. Fairly close to the house there is a break with a root growing into it. These are the best presented options:

Contractor #1 had 2 suggestions:

Option 1) $2000
1. Excavate down 3' to expose the root infiltrated joint in the sewer line.
2. Remove 3' of 4" sewer line and install 3' of new 4" sewer line to eliminate the root in the line.
3. Bed the pipe and backfill hole with proper compaction.
4. Install new overflow protection device on the existing clean out.
5. Job is to include labor, material, special equipment, permit and inspections.

Option 2) $6950
1. Sawcutt and Jackhammer to remove 40sqft of asphalt in the street.
2. Excavate down to expose the connection to the mainline in the street down 9'.
3. Replace the connection to the main line using SDR-26 Wye if cracked or broken. (ADD-$750.00)
4. Excavate down to expose the sewer line at the foundation in the front of the house.
5. Pipe burst the sewer line from the foundation to the main line in the street using 4" SDR-17 HDPE pipe.
6. Install new two way clean out at foundation with overflow protection device.
7. Backfill both holes with proper compaction and replace asphalt to City specs.
8. Job is to include labor, material, special equipment, permits , inspections, and traffic control.

Contractor #2 suggested the following

Option 3) Cost $1500 + permits
Repair approximately 3 ft. of 4in. sewer line located in front of the house and install a new 2-way clean-out. Permits are not included in this quote.

Options 1 and 3 are similar in price (permit will be about $360), but option 3 (contractor #2) also includes a new 2-way clean-out to replace out current 1-way clean-out.

However, we like contractor #1 better (seems more competent/professional). Contractor #1 said to also replace the cleanout with a 2-way clean out would add $2000 to the cost of option 1 for a total cost of $4000.

What would you do and why? Thanks!

Would option 3 pay for the permit or would you? And I am wondering why option 2 decided to go all the way to street if you have such a small section of clay.

cutting out a section is a band aid repair.

what you need is a sewer replacement from the house to the sewer tap.

I would be asking the city, to break the street. and move THEIR tap

out from under the street. that is an option I would look into.

replace the sewer..if not, you will be replacing 3' sections every year at $2000.00 each till it is totally replaced

get 3 bids all of the bids for the same scope of work with a price break down/ itemized proposal with permits included

when the sewer is replaced,,a 2 way clean out is code,,do not let them charge you extra for an item they have to install

I read about pipe lining when I first started reading about sewer lines. None of the contractors mentioned it, and I had stopped thinking about it. Do people think this is a good solution?

>replace the sewer..if not, you will be replacing 3' sections every year at
>$2000.00 each till it is totally replaced

This is what I was wondering... The line has been there for 50 years and most of it is okay... maybe the deeper part of the line isn't being attacked by roots? But, if people's experience is that the rest of the pipe will soon fail, then it would be better to replace the whole thing...

The other companies might not do pipelines so they would not bring it up
Find out if any one in your area does it and find out
I have lined old cast iron ,broken pvc and old clay pipe to

I got responses from two of my contractors: "We do not do lining anymore. We used to and it is a viable option is some cases. The material cost is a 15 times the cost of the HDPE and it is in most cases cheaper to pipe burst it. You will still be required to excavate at the foundation to insert the liner so unless you were replacing the entire lateral with the liner it would best to just excavate at the repair vs the liner option. Also it is difficult to get approved for the liner with CCCSD as the pipe has to be virtually perfect as the liner conforms to the existing walls of the pipe. We would have to first snake to clear the root to determine if the joint is in good enough alignment for the liner."

and

[corrected] "We would not recommend epoxy lining of the sewer lateral as that method downsizes the inside diameter of the existing pipe. It is only a temporary solution to your problem. The only permanent solution is the installation of the HDPE pipe that lasts virtually forever. Each method takes approximately a day and is similar in price, therefore it's a rather easy decision in my book."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back