What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were looking at homes around here, of course some had gas service and others did not. There were quite a few that had no gas service, BUT the range/stove/cooktop was propane. All the rest electric. I can always plug in an electric dryer if need be, and I can easily (though not likely) convert the gas water heater to electric as it's near the service panel in the garage.

Not everyone has reasonable electric bills, however. If you lived north, you might sing a different tune when it came to heating. My dad's lucky as his electric company is municipally owned. Not only are the rates cheap but the service (downed lines, power outages, etc.) is exemplary. My power here in NC is through a co-op and it's pretty reasonable and service great as well.
Not everyone has reasonable gas bills.

Everywhere’s not the same. That’s the lesson here.

I can’t die of carbon monoxide from my heat pumpZ. ✌️

Gas appliances cost more to purchase, install and maintain/repair if you follow the manufacturers recommendations of service.
"If" is the operative. I treat my gas appliances like my dad used to treat the engines in his automobiles: He never changed the oil! Now, when it came to his airplane, however, he was meticulous in its maintenance!

I saw a silly arse movie on Netflix last week where a young couple developed a fuel leak in their airplane while flying at 13,000 feet. Husband climbed outside and was able to fix the fuel leak, then crawl back into the plane. Seems movies are scraping the bottom of the barrel for story lines.

I feel like I am living in Robert A. Heinlein's book "Stranger in a Strange Land" or in the Moody Blue's song "Lost in a Lost World". I was in my local grocery store looking for some Asiago cheese bagels and it took no less then ten minutes to find a person who could understand my kind of English. I chalked it up to the fact that it must have been my accent. Don't get me wrong, the people were nice enough and were really trying to help but still.............

My country, at least my part of it, is becoming a "Press 9 For English" sort of place.

I feel like I am living in Robert A. Heinlein's book "Stranger in a Strange Land" or in the Moody Blue's song "Lost in a Lost World". I was in my local grocery store looking for some Asiago cheese bagels and it took no less then ten minutes to find a person who could understand my kind of English. I chalked it up to the fact that it must have been my accent. Don't get me wrong, the people were nice enough and were really trying to help but still.............

My country, at least my part of it, is becoming a "Press 9 For English" sort of place.
Que?

It's probably going to get more complicated for US. We have so many people coming in from the south. It's good for all of us if it's legal. most are good workers.
The bad... There's the bad ( it comes with it), then the ugly( the drugs that attack our kids) they are so subtle about distributing ...in a way it seems our power is diminishing.

We never had gas available out here. We barely have power. Our bill is rarely under $300. They now charge an extra $200 for what they consider "excessive use" or something. We've got a workshop, the well pumps, & the house that is poorly insulated with crappy windows. It used to only be $100 for that fee but they doubled it. There is also the charge for the security light.

With the kind of luck my family and I have, I would never trust having gas appliances anyway. I cut my finger on a freaking pharmacy bag the other day. Oh, and the whole falling on the pipes thing... And electrocuting my bicep. Good news on that front. I can move my arm a couple of inches higher now. The pulley and rope thing with handles actually helped. I can also raise my arm without bending my elbow. It's only like 2 or 3 inch difference in movement, but its better than nothing.

Sadly, our air fryer got killed by all the power surges from the thunderstorms. I tested it on different outlets and made sure those outlets worked. It's this one that is on sale if anyone is interested: Amazon.com

Great while it lasted and over $100 off. Mom decided to get a larger one that can fit a 13" pizza to replace it. I wanted to get the same one again since I know how to use it. Friend has the same one in red.

Today I cleaned litterboxes, cooked for mom, and rested. Wasn't feeling that great. The rainy weather makes me sleepy and blech.

It's probably going to get more complicated for US. We have so many people coming in from the south. It's good for all of us if it's legal. most are good workers.
The bad... There's the bad ( it comes with it), then the ugly( the drugs that attack our kids) they are so subtle about distributing ...in a way it seems our power is diminishing.
Interestingly, the folks I was dealing with didn't come in from the south. I live a stones throw from the National Convention Center in Landsdowne, VA. The NCC is the place where most if not all of the Afghani people that Joe Biden flew out of Kabul landed and are processing. The last time I had my HVAC system checked, one of the refugees was part of the team doing the work on my system. Great person, eager to learn and he spoke English better than I can. The folks in my local grocery store were part of that group.

I cried after listening to Benjamin Hall's, the man who was almost killed covering the war in Ukraine, as he read from his upcoming book:

"If I had the slightest iota of consciousness, it was a distant sense of shock waves and the feeling that every part of my body – bones, organs, sinew, my soul – had been knocked out of me," Hall read. "I was all but dead but improbably, out of this crippling nothingness, a figure came through and I heard a familiar voice, as real as anything I’d ever known. Daddy, you’ve got to get out of the car."

An emotional Hall then explained that seeing his three young daughters gave him the strength to keep going.

"I opened my eyes and managed to crawl out of the car," he said. "If it weren’t for them bringing me back, there is no way I would be here today."

I cried after listening to Benjamin Hall's, the man who was almost killed covering the war in Ukraine, as he read from his upcoming book:

"If I had the slightest iota of consciousness, it was a distant sense of shock waves and the feeling that every part of my body – bones, organs, sinew, my soul – had been knocked out of me," Hall read. "I was all but dead but improbably, out of this crippling nothingness, a figure came through and I heard a familiar voice, as real as anything I’d ever known. Daddy, you’ve got to get out of the car."

An emotional Hall then explained that seeing his three young daughters gave him the strength to keep going.

"I opened my eyes and managed to crawl out of the car," he said. "If it weren’t for them bringing me back, there is no way I would be here today."
wow...

Saw that too

I watched that on TV this morning. Amazing, I intend to preorder the book today.

I watched a program on PBS last night talking about the Holocaust. 55k people transferred per week. 5k were being murdered per day. Before invading Ukraine, Putin was putting forth propositions for mass burial sites. I have no doubt that he fully intends to round people up and slaughter them en masse the way the Nazis did.

I had to haul trash out (once again stuck doing my brother's only chore). I also had to move stuff out of the truck that he was supposed to unload. Took mom to State Farm over some issue with the premiums. We autopay but they didn't take the $ and were blaming us and threatening to cancel our insurance. The paperwork also had 2 different amounts so we weren't sure which one was correct. The lady at the office was confused too. She said their records only showed the lower amount-- although, our insurance has gone up $100/month despite the vehicles depreciating.

Went to walmart and Mom couldn't find any riding carts. To my surprise she actually walked around a little. I grabbed stuff and met up with her. She asked for the keys to go sit down while I checked out. My main thing I wanted to get was milk. I forgot to get milk. LOL. Had to stop at another store on the way back. She asked for some kind of onions. I thought she was joking at first bc she knows I'm allergic. But I saw them on my way out so I grabbed them. I think she cuts them up and eats them in sandwiches. I just realized I forgot to get bread too. I need to make a list. I wasn't feeling very well.

Stopped at TSC to get sweet feed and hay with molasses for the cows. They came running when I stopped to unload and cut the bags open. The hay comes sealed in bags too.

Unloaded groceries and cooked for Mom and am now resting. I managed to slam my shoulder into the doorway while bringing stuff in. I'm about to take a nap and hope my shoulder/arm stops throbbing.

Latest posts

Back