What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packed up Mom's laptop- tripleboxed and mailed it. $96 for priority mail with tracking + insurance. Still cheaper than buying a replacement screen (which is out of stock). Unfortunately, while bending to put bubble wrap into the box (not even bending very far) I managed to pull my back. Not sure how even. It just popped. Hurts all the way through my hips. Alternating heat and ice. Heat is going right now along with massage. This sucks. I was going to clean the pantry today.
My chiropractor recommends ice for twenty minutes... no heat, unless the cold packs are ineffective.

Cold packs were not very effective and I've heard alternating heat and cold is supposed to help. I took a nap for awhile and have an ice pack on right now. Felt good at first but diminishing returns.

I took over a birthday present to my now 84 year old Aunt.

Here's what I made her, and her favorite color is red. I finished the edging last night.

1664247050244.png

Wrench, that is beautiful!

Back still hates me today. Still alternating heat and cold. Heat seems to make it feel better but its hard to find a comfortable position. My brother left my bathroom door open and let cats in. As expected, they knocked a bunch of stuff down. I was able to get some of it up while sitting but back started screaming at me.

Took my dad (100 year old WWII veteran) to the VA hospital in Jamaica Plain, Boston to discuss his upcoming “procedures” on 6 and 7 October to figure out his kidney blockage. The surgeon is on the faculty of Harvard Medical School. The anesthesiologist is on the top of her game—we have a high level of confidence in them both. We don’t know what they’ll find—maybe a tumor or scar tissue nor what they may recommend but we’ll find out soon.
Meanwhile back at his home, plumbed his new electric water heater, bypassing the oil fired “in burner” setup now. With #2 fuel oil still over $4/gallon, he cringed when turning on the hot water, as every time he did the oil burner roared to life. His old home is a plumbing, heating and electrical mess compared to a modern build, but the home belongs to his late wife’s grandkids so there’s only so many updates he’s willing to do.
Took @Twowaxhack advice and re-did the electrical feed to the tank. Removed the lines from the 30A fuse block for the dryer, sent over to a new sub panel. Good thing I did; the 30A dryer circuit had 60A fuses in the block. Probably had that for decades. Now that feeds a 60A sub panel, a 30A breaker each for water heater and dryer. Ideal? Hell no. But all fused properly…
Everything went in very smoothly.

Nothing is quite as messy as an old oil burner. Maintenance of the massive confluence of hot water pipes and associated is nuts. Too many parts to leak and fail. The very large air eliminator is a leaky rusted mess with a bucket underneath. I told dad to get it replaced.

Attachments

• ECA6BD52-B5EE-4012-8415-C0D01775F285.jpeg
    ECA6BD52-B5EE-4012-8415-C0D01775F285.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Yeah, they tell the ones around here that stay in the path of storm surge to write their name and next to kin with permanent marker on their arms so when they find your body they’ll know who it is and who to call to tell you’re dead.

Mitchell, that is very cool. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong medically with your dad and that whatever is going on can be fixed easily.

Back still hates me but I decided to try to clean my toilet seat. It's a closed cell foam seat and they discontinued it bc it stains and the stains don't come out. I've got a paste of vinegar and baking soda all over it. Looks like frosting or glaze on a donut. A very ugly donut. LOL.

Currently looking for tub surround walls for my bathroom since the old ones are falling down and are discolored and fugly. There is a seam down the middle of the back wall and that is ugly. The shelves are useful but they are all discolored from the hard water & the deadbeat tenants never cleaning even once the entire time they lived here.

I want to get some hardie backerboards with Hyrdodefense to go behind the shower walls. Trying to figure out what to use on the seams. Anyone ever used these boards? I found a tape that doesn't require thinset to apply but I'm wondering what to put over the tape. It's called Fiberbond or something like that. I need to find the link again. Would Drylock cover the texture of the fiberglass tape? The video for the hardieboards said to apply tape and then apply waterproofing over just the seams and screws. I wonder if flex seal painted on would work and if you can paint over flex seal. The flex tape is garbage though. I'm trying to see if the flex seal stuff is available at Lowes but it won't load right now. Not sure if it is the Lowes page or my ISP.

My plan today is to try to take it easy and maybe clean what I can without having to bend.

Mitchell, that is very cool. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong medically with your dad and that whatever is going on can be fixed easily.
Well, the doctor suspects either a tumor/mass, or scar tissue from prior bouts with kidney stones. It is in all likelihood benign if a tumor, since there are no other markers for cancer detected in the bloodwork. If scar tissue, they can "drill" through it with a laser in all probability. Dad's quite strong, surprisingly so, so they have a high level of confidence that what they are doing, even on a 100 year old man, will be fine. No general anesthesia required--just a spinal block. If a tumor, that will require some thought and a risk/benefit analysis. The procedures are a stent added on October 6 to allow the exploratory on October 7. No corrections will be done, just a determination of what's there. They tried this back in August "from the bottom" but this time the surgeon is approaching "from the top". Hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Mitchell, I hope it isn't anything malignant. Tumors (even benign) can really suck. Hopefully it will all go well in the exploratory and whatever they decide to do after.

Still trying to pick stuff for my bathroom. Got the purple wallboard decided, tape decided, tentatively decided on the drywall mud. Wondering if Drylok works on drywall. Still trying to decide on glue up walls. Wish I could find some direct-to-stud that could fit my corner grab bar shelf & fit on my old tub properly. Usually requires a flange and I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have one.

Decided to use a 2x12 pressure treated board to raise my toilet up a little. 1 board should be enough for 2 toilets. I can use the other toilet that isn't installed to make a template. Someone recommended Culwell PC4 Floor Protecting Toilet Flange to get a better seal. It sits flush apparently, but I have never heard of it before. Wondering what protocol would be for installing it on top of a board or on top of finished floor as a retrofit. It is pricey on Amazon, but I found it half price on ebay.

I hope that if any members are in Florida that they are safe.

What did I do today? I started my day at exactly 0500 Eastern Daylight Time by logging into the UK Royal Mint's website to be "first in line" to secure one or two of their offerings celebrating the life of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's life and the new reign of King Charles III. I've been online for almost an hour now and I am way down to number 45,620 in the queue! I know. I know. You don't have to tell me!

Update: Three hours later and I got into the website! Sadly, they were all sold out!

Last edited:
Sadly, they were all sold out!
That really sucks. I always buy silver commemorative coins when visiting memorable places. We went to the Ronald Reagan Library last week. They had solid silver coins, but paying nearly $200 an ounce for the coin was a real turn off.... especially when once bought, they go into my safe and won't be seen again until I'm dead.

That really sucks. I always buy silver commemorative coins when visiting memorable places. We went to the Ronald Reagan Library last week. They had solid silver coins, but paying nearly $200 an ounce for the coin was a real turn off.... especially when once bought, they go into my safe and won't be seen again until I'm dead.
I have about 90 pounds of .999 put away much of it in bullion (bars and coins) and some in numismatically "important" form from the Royal mint in the UK and the RAMint in Australia. Very little US silver for whatever reason. Yes, it's in the safe and will probably never come out until the vultures have assembled after my death

I had sewer gases coming up in my bathroom from the tub because the stopper plug came out of the drain. I poured water down but it siphoned right out and more gases came up. So I found the stopper and put it back in (after four 12oz cups of water went down). I had to clear stuff out to even access it. But stopper is now back in. No more sewer gases. Inhaled enough that it made me feel sick last night. Didn't wake up until 5pm when my cats decided to have a fight and bring it on top of me. Apparently Yasuke ran to me for protection but I wasn't awake so I woke to claws in my arm, curled up somehow so they got my leg as I was trying to break them apart- not even quite sure how. I was not awake enough. Then they ran out of the room and I had to get up and follow to break them up. Snugglebum understands enough that when I tell him to come to me or go where I'm pointing, he will go. I got in between them so they no longer had line of sight and felt comfortable enough to walk away. Snugglebum then followed me to the bathroom as I cleaned my wounds. I let him smell the blood to know he drew blood on me (not sure if he made the connection). But he was super cuddly afterward.

I need to go to the store soon. They were out of a lot of stuff last time I went and I need to see if they got more of it back in.

Yesterday was my birthday. My oldest friend remembered at sent me a message shortly after midnight. Mom didn't remember until late afternoon and had to tell my brother. My sister actually remembered and called. I went into town to hug my friend and put some gas in his car before prices go up more. Grabbed food from McDonalds. Got home and watched a livestream of someone playing medieval dynasty. Tried to remove stains from my bathroom floor again-- no luck. Cooked for Mom. Had a nasty knotted stomach the rest of the night and went to bed. Got up this morning and tried to clean the stains out of the floor again-- still no luck.

Now I'm just browsing the internet and relaxing. Still feeling tired.

Yesterday was my birthday. My oldest friend remembered at sent me a message shortly after midnight. Mom didn't remember until late afternoon and had to tell my brother. My sister actually remembered and called. I went into town to hug my friend and put some gas in his car before prices go up more. Grabbed food from McDonalds. Got home and watched a livestream of someone playing medieval dynasty. Tried to remove stains from my bathroom floor again-- no luck. Cooked for Mom. Had a nasty knotted stomach the rest of the night and went to bed. Got up this morning and tried to clean the stains out of the floor again-- still no luck.

Now I'm just browsing the internet and relaxing. Still feeling tired.
If at one time water got under the sheet vinyl , you'll never remove the stain.

Sawguy, Its waterproof sheet vinyl and its on the top but it seems to have soaked in. It is not in the backing though. It only seems to have soaked in to the top few layers.

Not doing much today. Browsing internet, feeding cats, and I'm about to take a nap.

Latest posts

Back