What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My FrididaireElectrolux freezer crapped out this morning. Ice cream melted. Dogs had melted ice cream for breakfast. We got a big cooler and some bags of ice and moved stuff over temporarily. Any potential replacement freezers are backordered until August.

Found out the AC guy is out of jail but don't know his contact info. I asked my friend but he isn't awake yet.

Looks like a very nice install. I had a family of mice make a home in my 1995 Porsche 928 GTS and they ate $2,500 worth of plug wires.

Tried to vote in Virginia's GOP primary today and they wouldn't let me vote. Said something about me having voted in a Democratic primary within the last five years. I told them I've never voted Democratic in my entire life but they simply laughed at me. Oh well.....

Looks like a very nice install. I had a family of mice make a home in my 1995 Porsche 928 GTS and they ate $2,500 worth of plug wires.

Tried to vote in Virginia's GOP primary today and they wouldn't let me vote. Said something about me having voted in a Democratic primary within the last five years. I told them I've never voted Democratic in my entire life but they simply laughed at me. Oh well.....
That's what they do!

They had a sound like no other.
Mine seemed to always get me in trouble when one of those rice grinders would pull alongside and rev their engine. That's all it took to show 'em how quick I could get to 160 MPH. Ahh, the good ol' days!

So, turns out the guy who had been out of jail had gotten tossed back in jail on Friday. He's got a painkiller addiction. So, he got busted for possession, DWI, & "performance ability of brakes" according to the inmate roster. Apparently he had gerry-rigged the wiring and done some weird stuff in my AC unit. Other AC repair guy wouldn't come out bc he had his kids (but his boss didn't check with him first). So, he sold the capacitors to my friend and told my friend to go install it. He did walk my friend through the process and my friend watched youtube videos on how to do it. He also sent pictures to the guy who told him it was done right. First it was $80 for the capacitor that retails around $20. I guess the upcharge was for bothering him on a weekend. Friend got that in but fan wouldn't turn. He tested the old capacitor and it was bad. Then tested the 2nd capacitor -- for the fan and it was bad. So that was another $10. Friend had to pull out the mess that was in there and wire it properly. Fan came on and it ran and cooled for about an hour but then it stopped. My brother pushed the fan with a stick and got it spinning again (only works when compressor tries to run). Lasted about another hour. But I can't get it to spin. It starts and then stops when I push it. So, we had 91° in the colder parts of the house and it dropped to 87° last night. Still too damn hot and we may have to get a new fan. But our unit doesn't have any markings on it anywhere to say what model it is.

@havasu, I'm not sure. Last time I had a freon leak the fan and compressor still ran. This time the compressor is coming on but the fan isn't so compressor is short-cycling (shutting off after less than 30 seconds) and then trying again. The fan is not moving although it looks like it is trying to. It gives a little jolt and then doesn't move. When my brother pushed it with a stick really hard (while compressor was running) it did spin for awhile but then stopped. I've set it to internal fan only mode for now to keep capacitors from blowing bc of short-cycling.

I've called the AC guy multiple times and not gotten a callback. The reason I switched to the other guy was bc this guy doesn't return my calls. Always get an answering machine. Don't know why he won't call me back. He returned my friends' calls on Saturday but not mine. The AC guy is the one who installed the unit in the first place.

The one mercy is that it is cloudy today so it isn't as hot (at least not with 2 fans blowing on me).

I think I've lost some water weight from all the sweating. LOL.

And I was motivated to clean out my freezer to get rid of stuff. Wish we could get it working again but may have to suck it up and buy a new one and hope it lasts 20 years like this one did. I'd love to find a repair person for it and I've looked but no luck for this area.

Not all negative though. Could be worse. It's not the middle of summer.

From what I understand, if it runs at all, it is not the capacitor. If it cycles on and off, that is a freon/oil issue, or a thermostat error. Don't try to kick start it with a broom handle. They don't work that way.

Maybe your fan has both motor-start and motor-run capacitors? The motor-start cap would also have a cutoff switch (usually centrifugal) so another possible point of failure.

There only appear to be two capacitors that we can find. Called regular AC guy- still no answer or callback. Other guy is still in jail. But I found someone who used to live out in my area. I used to see his truck drive by but haven't seen him since he moved. My friend found his contact info and I called to ask for service. Described the problem and he said he can try to send someone out tomorrow. Had me get my cellphone out and text him the address. I left my landline phone number in there as well.
Thunderstorms right now which means it is still damp as hell but not as hot.

Original AC installer finally called back. Sent his guy out. Guy is training his son and they had a helper. Fan motor was bad. It started pouring rain on them while they were installing the new motor. Fortunately the freon levels are still good. I offered them otter pops and the helper accepted. I brought out different flavors and he picked red. Didn't have proper change so tipped them $15 for the trouble of rain and one guy got snagged by blackberry thorns.

Currently soaking wet from the rain and trying to dry off, but it is already getting cooler. One of them said the pups look like blackmouth red coonhounds.

Peanutbutter is over in a basket and Jelly is on my bed. I'm petting him with my foot.

It feels so much better with AC kicking in.

Latest posts

Back