What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selway Armory has a thing where you can sign up (for free) for a chance to win free ammo.

Every week I check the e-mail to see if I've won. No luck thus far, but I'm not expecting to win. I need to ask my sister if her husband ever got back to the guy who sold some bad ammo that blew up her gun. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt much-- just some minor abrasions on her hand. My BIL was pretty angry about it. Last I'd heard, the guy wasn't returning his calls.

I've decided I want to get the porch cleared off enough to get a porch swing on it. Not the kind that hang from the ceiling but the kind that have a frame and sit on the ground- so it can be moved around. Then maybe I can get Mom outside for some fresh air and some sunlight. Her vitamin D levels were a bit too low because she doesn't go outside for months at a time.

Since this state doesn't have the same rules as others on burning trash, we're going to have a big plastic bottle and cardboard box bonfire soon. Need to clear all that junk out. Once I get enough space on my phone to get more pictures I'll have to get some of the mess my mother made in the living room that I just couldn't keep up with. Also need to get some pics under the house of the new pipes and the framing for the side of the house along with some measurements. There's a hollow space just below the floor but a few inches below there are large beams all along the perimeter. I need to see if this is the case on the older part of the house too.

I'm also going to have to get some good gardening gloves that block those damned thorns and tackle the blackberry bushes that are in the way of the back door and the access to kitchen sink's plumbing under the house. I'm still salty about when I tried to fix a drain pipe and my brother ran water in the sink after I told him not to and the water ran out on me and ruined the pvc glue. LOL. Can Fernco fittings go over hubs? Or only regular sized pipe? I might use a fernco on it if I can.

But today I am resting. I've been driving back and forth the past few days & running around doing stuff (Ok, not literally running, I haven't been able to actually run in years). Later this week I'm going to do some major cleanup, but for now I'm going to get some rest. I might go for a brief walk outside though since the weather looks nice. But it will be a slow relaxing walk.

Awww. It's so tiny its adorable. But I'm sure it can be deadly. I kind of want a SigSaur P320 with a small hand grip (I think there may be a special designation for the smaller grip one but I can't recall it right now). More law enforcement agencies are choosing to switch to it-- or at least they were when I was researching it.

I rested a few days, felt sick for a couple days and even though I puked this morning (postnasal drip from allergies hit my stomach) I still forced myself to do some cleaning.

I've been planning out how to repair the floors to put down vinyl sheet in the bathrooms and how to deal with the spots where PEX comes up through the floor. I've got push-fit sharkbites on the toilet supply lines so I wonder if it would be bad to turn off the water and pull them off long enough to fit the pipes through the luan underlayment boards. I also want to find a way to have something solid underneath the shutoffs to hold them steady. I found some of those split escutcheons that will fit around the pipe but I'm wondering if there is some sort of thing about the size/shape of a PVC coupling that can fit around the pipe above the escutcheon where it comes through the floor (as all of my supply lines come from the floor instead of the wall).

Is it called a pipe collar? I'm trying to look it up but my internet has decided to not load google right now. Do they sell split or hinged couplings that I could close or snap over PEX pipe? I will caulk it to the top of the escutcheon.

What do you prefer... Gas or Electric for water heaters? Only curious, I prefer electric myself.

I prefer electric at my house. There are pluses and minuses to each type.

Our electric company is running a promotion where they will give you an electric if you switch from gas..

Occasionally the gas company will run the same deal in reverse.

We live in a remote area with a well system and no gas lines so getting gas would be a royal pita. Thus we have electric water heater.

It rained today but I still went to the store to get cat food, milk, and water. Picked up mail-- we had some packages (mine were mostly plumbing supplies & items for house repair). One of the cartons of milk fell while I was putting stuff away-- spilled all over. I was able to salvage some of it by pouring it in to a jug that still had some milk left in it. Cleanup sucked though.

Graphics card on pc went wonky. Pc down for repair at friends house. Laptop at his house for updates bc he has unlimited Internet and I only get 145gb. Updates were over 50gb. Trying to clone data from pc. Will see if it worked later. Using phone which I can barely read and sucks to type. Don't have passwords to all my sites on the phone.

Reinstalled a toto one piece toilet. I removed it last month so a mirror could be installed. Small bathroom, huge mirror.

Replaced a widespread Lav faucet.

Replaced a malfunctioning check valve on a hot water circ system.

Rebuilt a toilet tank.

Replaced 4 stop valves under a kitchen sink.

I have a cast iron flange to install, pvc flange to install.

Install two toilets

install two vanity tops and faucets with new fixture stop valves.

House is vacant, that’s a good thing. It’s a realtor rental house that’s going to be sold. They bought cheap crap 🤣

I have a cast iron flange to install, pvc flange to install.

Install two toilets

install two vanity tops and faucets with new fixture stop valves.

House is vacant, that’s a good thing. It’s a realtor rental house that’s going to be sold. They bought cheap crap 🤣
Can you still get lead and oakum?

Can you still get lead and oakum?
All day long

I have enough reclaimed lead to last me forever. When I remove cast iron I break the hubs and keep the lead.
I also remove lead drain pipes, I keep that to use also.

When you replace a closet flange you can just reuse the lead you dig out of the old one.

Happy Holidays everyone.

I've got a sinus headache but could be feeling worse. I am tired and doing nothing today. I'm hoping to be productive tomorrow though.

I did get some measurements in my mother's bathroom to try to figure out grab bar placement, shower control placement, etc. I had painter's tape up that I marked but my brother didn't know what it was for and didn't bother asking so he ripped it all down. I'll have to re-do the measurements later.

Hope everyone is having a good day and will have a good weekend.

Happy Holidays everyone.

I've got a sinus headache but could be feeling worse. I am tired and doing nothing today. I'm hoping to be productive tomorrow though.

I did get some measurements in my mother's bathroom to try to figure out grab bar placement, shower control placement, etc. I had painter's tape up that I marked but my brother didn't know what it was for and didn't bother asking so he ripped it all down. I'll have to re-do the measurements later.

Hope everyone is having a good day and will have a good weekend.

Weather changed here and everyone has a headache. We went from highs in the 50’s to a high of almost 80 today.

No snow here as of yet. We used to only get it once every 20 years but not we get it maybe a day or two almost every year. This year we had a record freeze (in February). There are some kittens over at my friend's house that might freeze to death. I'm over capacity with pets so I can't take them, no shelters for them, and my friend's gf throws/kicks (literally kicks them) out if they get in. So I bought them a little pet house thing that is up in a high spot on the porch. My friend reported that they have been piling in it and keeping each other warm. My pets (excluding my cows) are all inside. I tried to get a new barn built for the cows but the sellers never got back to me on pricing.

I'm up at 4am because my shoulder was hurting and I couldn't get comfortable. I didn't eat much yesterday and I'm starting to feel hungry.

Latest posts

Back