What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to love Johnny Carson, I would stay up and watch his show and feel like crap the next day from little sleep. Present day late night talk shows are a joke , waste of time, liberal crap

Matt, the axe throwing looks cool. Wish I could do it but I'd probably do the equivalent of rolling a 1 in D&D and drop it on my foot somehow. Not throwing anything with my injured rotator cuff though. Doctor said it should heal in 8 weeks, but to do exercises for it.

I've always loved that Carson clip.

Went to the doctor for checkup. Everything was good but my sugars. He's prescribed Metformin for insulin resistance (which runs in my family) to see if that helps. He also recommended Almond milk instead of regular milk (total fail on that one-- it has a nasty aftertaste) and rutabaga instead of potatoes in beef stew (gold star on that one because it tastes better than potatoes).

Visited my friend after doctor's appointment and tried to help him locate his sewer line. Someone came by with a dowsing rod and found two potential areas. We think the one on the left is more likely the area. Guy marked the spots and watched us digging for a few minutes. Then he found some piece of metal to try to poke in the ground-- recommended we get one of those rods with a handle to poke around. So, off to the hardware store we went. Poked around 4ft deep- no dice. Poked inside the 3' deep holes- still nothing. We poked about 2" apart over several feet. Tried to poke in the ditch but got eaten up by fire ants. None of our local plumbers have those $1k+ detectors where they run something down the sewer line and then use a receiver to pick up where it is. Thought about using a metal detector and running an auger through as far as it would go but I don't think the metal detectors will detect more than 4' deep and we're not sure if the one my friend has even works.

Went to walmart for groceries & I was hoping pharmacy would be open but they closed early. Dropped my brother off with our friend and went home to cook for Mom. Derped and forgot to put the potatoes in the microwave. I was happily cooking away and went to get potatoes out when microwave beeped and realized the potatoes were sitting next to the microwave instead of in it. Durrr. Popped them in and waited. Decided to add some eggs this time. Mom couldn't decide if she likes it better with or without eggs (it was hamburger meat with velveeta mixed in with mashed potatoes and butter).

While I was home, my brother was cooking beef stew with carrots, mushrooms, and rutabaga. I brought over a little of the leftovers from what I made, and brought an empty container for some of the stew to bring home. The rutabagas are delicious. Stew was great. I ate too much. LOL. Friends liked the food I cooked but were full from the stew.

Came back home and was relaxing when there was a catastrophe. My procrastination came back to bite me. The tank for my toilet that needs to be installed has been sitting in a box on top of my armoire since 2008. I recently had the urge to move it, but because of my injured rotator cuff, I couldn't reach up high enough. Anyway, two of my brother's cats decided to have a knock-down drag out fight and they knocked the tank down. Box tore, it flew out and broke. Lid seems ok but tank is busted all the way through right where the trip lever goes. Hope the trip lever isn't damaged. Now I have to spend another $90 on a new tank. Ugh. I'm seriously thinking of making my brother pay for it since it was his cats. They likely wouldn't be fighting so much if they were neutered.

I was planning to install the toilet next week (which is when I was hoping my friend would have time to help me finish fixing up the waterlines). Some time this week or weekend I need to finish putting the floor leveling in. I procrastinated too long on it. I'm thinking of getting some sort of additive again though because the top layer we did last time has cracked a little and isn't as sturdy as the stuff with the additive. I'm seriously considering just getting the self-leveling stuff and finding out the ratio to mix it in small batches and pouring it over. I'll need to level my closet flange first though. Checked it with a level and it slopes down to the right.

Earlier this week I did some major cleaning. It was significant enough that my mother actually thanked me and said I did a lot of work (she usually finds something I missed and complains that it wasn't good enough so I was asking "Who are you and what have you done with my mother?"). My brother was supposed to do that cleaning but I was tired of tripping over stuff.

Btw, anyone have inexpensive suggestions for finding a sewer line? We think it's clay. Seriously tempted to get an earth auger but not sure if we could justify the expense-- but it would help with putting in gate posts....

Last week I ordered a new toilet tank to replace one that broke. I arranged for in-store pickup from HomeDepot. It was busy in the store & there was a very rude customer shoving people out of the way & yelling at the clerk. I told her to calm down & explained it wasn't the clerk's fault that the shipping people messed up her order. I waited until I got home and waited a couple days to unload the tank. It was in a large box so we opened the larger pristine looking box and my brother went to take the smaller box with the tank out of the bigger box by grabbing the cutouts for handles. Immediately he said "It's broken! and I need a bandaid". It cut his finger. We were both going to get our Covid vaccines but decided to take it back to HomeDepot. So we took it back & I told them not only was it broken, but it cut my brother's finger. They apologized and issued a refund, but told me I'd have to order another one myself (I figured they would re-order).
Tonight I called HomeDepot's # to ask if they could package it better. Clerk said they weren't able to give such instructions but was horrified that the broken tank caused injury (probably worried we would sue). She said that the protocol should have been that they would re-order and issue a discount. So she re-ordered it for me and gave a discount. Should arrive April 1. I might pick it up April 2 since April 1 is an unlucky day in my circle of friends (although, it is my sister's birthday). It's the day my best friend had his wreck and also the day his house burned. He said it was also the day he fell off a tower at work.
Vaccine shot was completely painless. Only side effects were feeling tired & arm feeling bruised. My arm was already injured from me pulling something-- injured my rotator cuff & deltoid so I told the nurse to give me the shot in the arm that was already sore.
I think I forgot to take my meds yesterday so I just took them and need to get something to eat. My brother made beef stew with rutabaga, mushrooms, and carrots.

Sounds like an English or Nigerian stew recipe, loaded with good stuff for health. Friday is Good Friday, and at our house all Fridays are "Happy Fridays" according to the dogs, so maybe the next arrival will be better.

Alas, the stew is all gone, but we have some brussels sprouts with bacon that I'm about to eat. I slept all day. Not sure why I was so tired, but I was. My friend didn't leave his house yesterday. He told everyone to consider him dead to the world & not to ask him for anything because he wasn't leaving the house.
He also said there was no one to watch "fatman" (the baby) if he went somewhere so he couldn't leave.

Everyone doing ok? No one has posted for awhile.
I'm sick with a cold. It's not as miserable as it could be but it's not playing nice with my digestive system & I've lost about 6lbs from it. Probably water weight though.
Hoping meds will kick in so I can do some more cleaning.

Everyone doing ok? No one has posted for awhile.
I'm sick with a cold. It's not as miserable as it could be but it's not playing nice with my digestive system & I've lost about 6lbs from it. Probably water weight though.
Hoping meds will kick in so I can do some more cleaning.
Hope it's not this covid BS... I think I may have had it and it wasn't too bad. Like a mild flu type sickness to me. What meds are you taking?

It's just a cold. It's already starting to clear up a little. I took generic nyquil for two nights. Nothing last night but needed to take anti-diarrhea meds and pepto bismol -since anti diarrhea meds turned out to be expired and didn't kick in. The stomach issue is all from the mucus post-nasal drip acting as a laxative.

I forced myself to get up and take my truck in to get serviced. Oil change and new brake pads. I provided the pads, oil, and filter. Labor plus tax was around $77. No one else was wearing a mask, but I told the lady at the desk I had a cold so she thanked me for wearing one-- she's immune compromised. A few people commiserated about having to wear masks for allergies now.

I made sure to take the truck to the car wash and get an undercarriage spray before bringing it in. Road was super muddy. The guy who worked on it said he appreciated it. He tried to figure out what was wrong with the skid plate situation (rubbing the tire). He determined the guy who put the new fender and bumper on didn't do it quite right so it causes the fender liner to stick in to the wheel well too far and gets rubbed by the tire. I'll have to take it to a body shop or the dealership to get it fixed.

Tomorrow my friend is supposed to come out to work on installing more pex.

I fucked up lining the fittings up on a sewer drain. I read somewhere to dry fit them then mark them for when you glue. It took the better part of a day eyeballing and dry fitting a wye and a 1/8 (45 elbow to create a sweeping 90) to my sewer system. Cleaned, primed and glued within the time window per arrows previously plotted and BAM! sit back to view my progress, or the lack of, and BAM! This is what I seen (seephoto). Rain coming tomorrow. It's late thinking I could get it done and filled so I won't wake up till flood stage. Doesn't matter cause I just quit giving a ****. Still got another bathroom and kitchen sink drain? Well, **** it. That's what I did today. Before someone says the pipe to house is too short... It's not glued, it's there to show trajectory

Attachments

• PXL_20210525_080338474.jpg
    PXL_20210525_080338474.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
I hope you can get it fixed, @justinberry.

Today was a f*** it day for my friend and I. Picked him up, went to the store to get the glue & everything we might need, got to my house, I distracted the cows for him so he could get over to the house, and then he tells me he hears this weird buzzing sound. I walk over and it sounds like some sort of insect. He starts clearing more and suddenly he comes running over saying "NOPE!! It's NOT a bug!!" I was trying to make sure I got all the tools from the truck and asked "What is it?" Friend, "It's a f***ing rattlesnake!" He snapped a picture and I went over to look.
Dog starts running under the house & he starts yelling at her. Cat starts to go toward it and he pushes the cat away. I grabbed the cat and shoved her into the house. Went around front and called the dog and lured her back into the house.

Friend tried to pull the snake out with a shovel after I got a machete. Shovel handle broke and snake got away. So, it's under there & we decided the under-house crawl was NOT happening. No animal control in our area to come get it though. So we need to figure out how to catch it or find someone who can do it.
snakepex5-25-2021.jpg

Ended up going to get my brakes looked at again because they are catching and squealing. Will have to take it to the dealership bc the guys who did the brakes couldn't figure out what was wrong. I need transmission fluid done anyway.

Also got my mailbox situation sorted out so I can get mail again.

I hope you can get it fixed, @justinberry.

Today was a f*** it day for my friend and I. Picked him up, went to the store to get the glue & everything we might need, got to my house, I distracted the cows for him so he could get over to the house, and then he tells me he hears this weird buzzing sound. I walk over and it sounds like some sort of insect. He starts clearing more and suddenly he comes running over saying "NOPE!! It's NOT a bug!!" I was trying to make sure I got all the tools from the truck and asked "What is it?" Friend, "It's a f***ing rattlesnake!" He snapped a picture and I went over to look.
Dog starts running under the house & he starts yelling at her. Cat starts to go toward it and he pushes the cat away. I grabbed the cat and shoved her into the house. Went around front and called the dog and lured her back into the house.

Friend tried to pull the snake out with a shovel after I got a machete. Shovel handle broke and snake got away. So, it's under there & we decided the under-house crawl was NOT happening. No animal control in our area to come get it though. So we need to figure out how to catch it or find someone who can do it.
View attachment 29739

Ended up going to get my brakes looked at again because they are catching and squealing. Will have to take it to the dealership bc the guys who did the brakes couldn't figure out what was wrong. I need transmission fluid done anyway.

Also got my mailbox situation sorted out so I can get mail again.
DANG WHERE ARE YOU?

DANG WHERE ARE YOU?
Louisiana- but out in a part away from where they have relocation programs. I was told this may be a parish record for the size. I think it was 5' long but we didn't get a good look at it since it was trying its best to get away. Beautiful markings though. I wish they weren't venomous.

Found some people who are willing to come get it if I see it again. Definitely need to make sure it's gone before anyone goes back under. Good thing about timber rattlers is they are territorial so there are unlikely to be more of them under there.

I kinda felt bad for it because it was just trying to nap and then we were there trying to kill it. It was scared and just wanted to be left alone. But, I recognize it's dangerous so it needs to be killed or relocated.

...or relocated.

Can't imagine there aren't (environmental) groups out there that won't come and relocate it.

Pretty dang big - obviously doing it's job, probably no mice/rats, hell rabbits, around!? Hate to kill something for the sake of killing, unless, like TwoWax says, you're gonna eat it 😂 .

Had someone come out yesterday to look for it. No luck finding it. He said to give him a call if it shows up again. He wants to catch it and document it for some paper he's doing. He's a science type person who just got his degree in Evolutionary Biology.
My cat, Aminatu, followed him everywhere while he was searching. He said the snake is unlikely to bite a human unless it feels it's the only option and that it may leave because it doesn't feel comfortable with all the cats and dogs and people around. He said they will hunt mice and rabbits. But, still don't feel safe sending anyone to crawl under the house if it could still be there.

Despite the snake being there, we still have mice, rats, voles, and rabbits. In fact, when the snake guy left yesterday, I came inside the house and one of my cats had a rabbit.

I'll call the guy back if I see the snake and will leave it alone to discourage moving it.

Guy who owes us $ is supposed to come mow the weeds this weekend. We'll see if he actually shows up. He has a habit of not showing up. Has a very hard time keeping jobs.

I'm a fan of nature, but would prefer this creature to relocate. Have you considered building a trap, maybe using a dryer vent damper with an upgraded spring installed in reverse and upside down, in a ventilated box? You could leave a rope to pull the trap out. Of course, there may be more than one. And this could be a comfy place to lay eggs.

Latest posts

Back