What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Italian plumbing…
Peculiar shape toilet, tank in the wall.
Bidet, perfect fixture from the French who showered 1 or 2x per week.
Heated towel rack, powered by flowing hot water. Doubles as a radiator.

Most showers leak water all over the floors. They can engineer a Ferrari but not a shower door.

Attachments

• 0F1F479D-EE06-4F64-BBE6-1365B060B9FB.jpeg
    0F1F479D-EE06-4F64-BBE6-1365B060B9FB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • BC91303B-5424-4E77-9297-D668FDAC5CC4.jpeg
    BC91303B-5424-4E77-9297-D668FDAC5CC4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • EE1C146F-5514-43DF-BCEA-95E9C9FA5615.jpeg
    EE1C146F-5514-43DF-BCEA-95E9C9FA5615.jpeg
Did a bunch of laundry yesterday. I'm glad I have a high capacity washing machine because I packed that sucker full and ran deep clean/sanitize mode. Had to run the dryer twice (I use low heat). So, ~2 hours of washing and 2 hours & 30min of drying. It was dark when I was bringing laundry back to my room so I dumped it on the foot of my bed and a bin near the end as I couldn't see to put it away. Cats are happily sleeping on freshly cleaned laundry now. Sir Hammington is hogging the pillow I washed. I put my socks in a mesh bag with compartments. Keeps the pairs together and also prevents them from getting eaten by the washing machine or dryer.

I've been re-thinking some of the plumbing options for my laundry room. I originally wanted to have the trap arm ~18" above the finished floor but then realized it would conflict with the dryer vent so I will move it lower and put a barrier between the dryer vent and pipe to make sure no heat transfers to it. I also used sketchup to measure and realized that the wall is less than 6' from the trap and my state's plumbing code allows 6' run on a trap arm for 2" pipe. The place where I had the drain go down would sort of block access to the back of the dryer (because I'm not putting the pipes in the exterior wall- I'm putting them inside the room against the wall). I figure I can move the pipe all the way to the bathroom wall. Either just next to it or in it. I know there is no joist there because the main vent pipe goes up into that wall. I'll be posting about my other ideas in my thread on the reno. Bathroom/Laundry remodel: Assistance requested

Laundry didn't finish until very late so I didn't get much sleep and I'm still tired. Will probably nap some more before going to the store to get stuff for cooking. Need more meat and celery sticks.

14 day Viking cruise booked. June, 2023. Starts in Barcelona, France, Croatia, back to Italy.

"Ya can't take it with ya!"

That's great. Make sure you have a device to save many photos to, so you can show us when you get internet or get back. (I am putting in my order early).

Viking Cruises apparently donates a lot to PBS so they are good in my book. Although, you will never see me on a cruise and if you do, send help because it means I've been kidnapped. LOL.

It looks like fun if you are ok with being surrounded by all of those people and not being able to leave when you want. LOL. But then, I'm someone who doesn't sleep well unless I'm in my own bed. I'm very much a staycation person.

I'm still trying to motivate myself to get up and go to the store.

This ship has 900 guests and 900 helpers, so it is a 1 to 1 ratio. Best yet. No damn kids allowed. No running thru the hallways, no ding dong ditch, no screaming. My only issue is dodging all them blue hairs and their walkers.

Holy cow! That is waaaaay too many people. LOL. But at least there are no kids. Doesn't mean adults won't be loud and act like kids though. Can you actually feel the movement of the boat when you're on the cruise or does it feel more like you're staying still? I get motion sickness so I don't do well on boats, or planes, or trains, or cars (as a passenger), or elevators...

Went to the store, got groceries, cooked, stuffed my face, and now its time for a nap.

Those ships have stabilizers, so normally you don't feel movement, except vibration when accelerating. I did go thru a hurricane on a ship. Yeah, we all felt that boat sloshing all night.

Went to the post office. Replacement hinge for toilet seat arrived. Watched a video on how to remove the old one and install the new one. Getting the cylinders on the old one out was a challenge. One of them was stuck but the other one came out without much issue. Got the new one put on and ran in to 2 problems. First was that the bottom plate comes off with a feather touch and fell into the toilet TWICE. A little clear packing tape stopped that from happening. Second was that it came with the brackets to attach it to the toilet already installed into the quick release things-- only they were put in upsidedown. I kept them in as they were when they arrived and tried to put the seat bolts in but the ( ) thingies kept popping off. Finally I examined the brackets and realized which way they needed to go (with the more squared off side up). Brackets and bolts fell into the toilet about 3x. I dropped my screwdriver in once. I dropped the F-bomb more than 10x.

Put a new mini trash can in and used the big rubberband from the squatty potty to hold the bag in place. Moved the big trash can over. Put the squatty potty down. Threw in a bath mat but it needs to be cleaned. I vacuumed it but I need to put it in the washing machine and hang it dry. It looks way darker in that lighting than it should so I might replace it and use that one as a cat bed.

I also cooked for Mom and did some mild cleaning. Need to do more tomorrow. Need to wash some more bedding that wouldn't fit with the rest of the stuff the other day. The laundry cart came in handy to hold some tools, plumbing fittings, etc.

That's interesting. Reminds me I miss Alefromitaly. He got busy with life and parenthood so he stopped posting. I'm trying to get to sleep but m tummy wants food.

Mitchell and Zanne you guys must have insomnia like me! By the way, is the time of the post a person's local computer time or is it something like Pacific time? Silly me! I guess I'll post this and see what time pops up! (Says "A moment ago" LOL)

The time posted should be the time in your area, provided you set the time zone in your settings correctly.

Regarding the Italian sink trap, I would like to see an exploded diagram of what they look like inside. I know they work, but I'm just familiar with American P traps.

Those drains do look neat. I wonder if they meat code here.

I couldn't get to sleep and went into my bathroom and started putting some stuff away and trying to somewhat organize stuff on the laundry cart and make use of it. Once I got started I figured I should get a lot of stuff cleaned off and taken off the vanity. Got a bit done and then was able to sleep. Got up this morning and resumed cleaning. I moved all the stuff to one side, vacuumed, and wiped down the cleared side, then cleaned every item on the vanity and either moved it back to the clean side, threw it away, put it on the laundry cart, set it on the windowsill, or took it out of the room. Moved everything to the clean side and then vacuumed and scrubbed the other side. So, now it is a bit more organized. I did put some stuff in the tub (mostly things like towel bar and shower curtain rod that will be installed later). My brother barged in this morning to use the bathroom since Mom was in hers. The no longer having to wait on someone else thing is nice.

When I was cleaning this morning I could hear my brother in the adjacent bathroom saying "ARG, I'm a clumsy lumberjack!" He tends to be loud in bathrooms to amuse himself. He saw that I had cleaned my vanity off and said "Oh good, now I can piss in the sink!" (he was joking obviously). We've always been weird in this family. Pics of the progress will be posted in this thread.

I feel like I need a nap already. I really need to do some cleaning in the kitchen and cook some stuff before it goes bad.

No insomnia here…I’m actually in Messina Sicily (last day of trip) where we are on Central European time, +6 hours from Eastern time…

Italian plumbing part three: I neglected to get a picture of the largest tankless water heater you’ve ever seen mounted on the wall outside in Palermo the other day. But this one is in the apartment in Messina. Electric.

Attachments

• 00AA3315-5681-4BB9-9B04-AE68B430BE38.jpeg
    00AA3315-5681-4BB9-9B04-AE68B430BE38.jpeg

Latest posts

Back