What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty-six miles out to sea....................... I love that song! And that island! Enjoy! When my family lived there back in the '60s we enjoyed that trip. We have a 26' cruiser and I tried to ski behind it all the way. I didn't make it.

When I bought my boat, I had to promise that I would tow a skier to Catalina and back for the annual race. I lied because I didn't want it in salt water. I towed it to Lake Havasu and it has never left there.

We kept our boat tied up in Marina del Rey. I was almost made to walk the plank by my dad when I accidentally dropped the outboard motor from our dingy into the drink while tied up at the dock and had to hire a diver to recover it. My dad never let me forget that.

Do you get much marine growth in the lake or do you keep you boat out of the water?

Didn't help I had to keep getting up to break up cat fights last night. I watched an angry cat pick another fully grown cat up by the scruff of the neck, flip him over and literally throw him off the cat tree last night. He was already in a bad mood and jealous cat comes up wanting attention and bunts the angry cat in the head trying to get in on snuggles. Usually other cats just but back or move away in annoyance. Angry cat wasn't having it. Desperately need to get them neutered.
"The Matrix" is alive and well. Now I am getting all sorts of spam email wanting to sell me kitty litter and cat food! Tar and damnation!

Wow! Who would have thunk it? We started laying the keel and some of the hull for a ferrocement boat but we never were able to christen the thing. I never could get behind the concept of a boat made from "chicken wire" and cement but my dad was always charting new destinations.

Thanks, Blueskyhigh! I'll see if any of the local stores carry the spray adhesive. Come to think of it, I may actually have some already... Or maybe I have 77... Might be no good anymore though. I've had liquid stuff arrive empty/spilled/busted open or dried up from Amazon so getting something locally might be better-- but I desperately need to clear out the junk in my truck. Waaaay too much stuff. Unfortunately its been so damn hot I can't stand to be out there for more than 2min at a time.

Havasu, that is beautiful! I think I have that Catalina song on an album somewhere with our Oldies CDs. I love that kind of music. I grew up listening to that kind of stuff because my parents played the music they liked and we all liked it. It's one of the styles I really enjoy.

I picked up my medicine and got the pharmacy to switch my brother to the same kind because he was on the kind that made us both sick. They were very nice about it and filled it pretty quickly on short notice, but the old pharmacist was in helping out. There was a crabby woman who came up and snapped at the pharmacist about how her stuff wasn't ready yet and had a bit of a snit. Said she was going to use another pharmacy. The pharmacist invited her to go to another one if she felt so strongly, but then he started smalltalk about her job (she was in scrubs) and she calmed down a little.

Waiting for Mom to get back up so I can cook for her again. There are still some leftovers though.

Meanwhile, Peanutbutter is hunting flies in the window again.

Havasu, I had to laugh because you mentioned Catalina and the spray adhesive said it is not available there.
1655351574206.png
The boat thing reminded me that when my father wanted to learn how to drive a boat he wanted to sign up for the lessons but the higher ups told him "you're too old". He offered to teach it to other people and write a manual or something and they agreed to let him go. He was in his 50s and was the oldest person they'd ever had there but he was the very top student. Teacher said it was the first time no one dropped out because they didn't want to be outdone by "grandpa". He skipped town o go visit my sister instead of going to the graduation ceremony & he retired before he could pass on the lessons or write a manual. It was mandatory retirement though.

Last edited:
What did I do? I added a small sub-panel to my dad’s fuse box, ran 75’ of 10-2 over towards the oil burner on the other side of the basement. Added a disconnect and dropped a pigtail down. This is for a new electric water heater.
You see, being a 55 year old New England home, it has the *original* tankless: a coil inside the oil burner. Last fill of the oil tank (his third time this year) was $600. He can’t live with that. The town owns his electric company so it’s a non-profit. Low rates.
Dad just had the water heater delivered yesterday. He’ll “valve over” the copper lines from the burner to the tank.
Dad turned 100 on Tuesday. WWII veteran. Greatest Generation.

Attachments

• D32BCA8B-D7EE-498D-94C8-A7C52831A850.jpeg
    D32BCA8B-D7EE-498D-94C8-A7C52831A850.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 474AD6DC-32CD-49FF-B945-C7D4A7330C1E.jpeg
    474AD6DC-32CD-49FF-B945-C7D4A7330C1E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Yes, the 10-2 has a 10 gauge bare copper ground wire. Two conductors, one ground.

He gets thanks for his service daily! He was in the 251st artillery division dispatched to New Caledonia where they trained to eventually liberate the Philippines.

he walks, he talks, he stands on his own 2 feet, he drives… and seriously worked the room at his 100th birthday party last Saturday!

Does 10-2 have a ground wire of the same guage in it or is it two conductor? Thank your Dad for his service! My Dad was on the USS Hornet when Jimmy Dolittle took off to hit Japan.
It’s 2 conductor with a ground.

I wonder why the subpanel with just the one double pole breaker.

How did you have room in the main panel to add that subpanel circuit but no breaker ?

Thanks, Blueskyhigh! I'll see if any of the local stores carry the spray adhesive. Come to think of it, I may actually have some already... Or maybe I have 77... Might be no good anymore though. I've had liquid stuff arrive empty/spilled/busted open or dried up from Amazon so getting something locally might be better-- but I desperately need to clear out the junk in my truck. Waaaay too much stuff. Unfortunately its been so damn hot I can't stand to be out there for more than 2min at a time.

Havasu, that is beautiful! I think I have that Catalina song on an album somewhere with our Oldies CDs. I love that kind of music. I grew up listening to that kind of stuff because my parents played the music they liked and we all liked it. It's one of the styles I really enjoy.

I picked up my medicine and got the pharmacy to switch my brother to the same kind because he was on the kind that made us both sick. They were very nice about it and filled it pretty quickly on short notice, but the old pharmacist was in helping out. There was a crabby woman who came up and snapped at the pharmacist about how her stuff wasn't ready yet and had a bit of a snit. Said she was going to use another pharmacy. The pharmacist invited her to go to another one if she felt so strongly, but then he started smalltalk about her job (she was in scrubs) and she calmed down a little.

Waiting for Mom to get back up so I can cook for her again. There are still some leftovers though.

Meanwhile, Peanutbutter is hunting flies in the window again.

Havasu, I had to laugh because you mentioned Catalina and the spray adhesive said it is not available there.
View attachment 35621
I think Amazon meant ounces when the said pounds and I find it interesting that we we're talking about Catalina Island and this stuff is not for sale in Catalina Island. Big bro and the Matrix are alive and well.

Usually when there’s no room in a main panel and you need a subpanel you have to move a circuit out of the main panel to make room for the breaker to turn off your sub panel.

Then you would have a breaker in the main panel to turn off your sub panel.

In the new sub panel you would have at least two circuits. One that you moved to make room in the main panel and the new water heater breaker.

Latest posts

Back