What could this PVC tube be running over septic tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dug

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for reading. I just purchased a new home and am trying to install a new riser on my septic tank. The existing one buckled and one side slid into the opening. After digging out the existing one I noticed this pvc tube running across the top of the opening. Any ideas what it could be? See pictures.

Any thoughts on what I think are my two options?
1.) Depending on what this PVC is, cut it and reroute it around the new riser.
2.) Purchase a riser base and cut it in half, trim out enough space for the PVC to run through it. Add curved braces to go over the pvc pip and hold the base together and then bolt the base to the cement tank.

Attachments

• IMG-0583.jpg
    IMG-0583.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-0584.jpg
    IMG-0584.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
What size is it?
Do you have an idea which way your water service line runs?

I would be inclined to reroute the line once I found out what it's for first.

So it runs continuous right through the opening? That's crazy!

Be careful it's not an electrical conduit.

Diehard, if its a mechanical system would the electrical be running to a pump or something inside the septic tank?

Diehard, thank you for the reply. It's definitely thrown me a curve ball and boggled my mind as to why someone thought that was a good idea. We had a cold front blow in and so I had to cover it up (upside down kiddie pool insulated with dirt) for the time being.

I checked the third tank this morning and the tube doesn't enter or cross it, so as far as I can tell at this point it just runs directly over the top of the 2nd opening. The pump and pvc for the sprinklers is in the third tank, where it should be. When I dug out the 2nd tank, I found one discarded pvc tube, and there is another, which appears to be capped off, running just into the area. Since the tube doesn't enter the 2nd tank it can't be the aerator. Turning into more of a headache than I hoped for.

Mystery continues. I'd like to determine what purpose the tube has, might require some more digging. Will report back.

Back