What could be the causes for a leak in newly installed hot water copper pipe and possible fix

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nycpluminghek

Reaction score
Hi there... I noticed some water (marked in blue in the pre-construction picture) underneath by sink area. I did all the appropriate troubleshooting steps.
1/The water was leaking with everything shut, hence it meant a leak in one of the supply lines
2/I did some trial and error with the cut of valves and determined the leak is in the hot water pipe and not the cold water
3/Given the location of the water accumulation, I am pretty sure the issue is in the area marked in red (hot water supply line to the sink)

see picture

questions

a/this is a new installation, what could cause such a leak after ~8month of use? Is it possible that the water inside my pipe is so hot (which it feels it is) that it could modify the soldering done by the plumber, making it lose? Note: There are no nails that went into any walls

b/is there a way to see a leak thru drywall so I can cut the appropriate part of the dry wall?

c/what is the best way to fix this? my current thinking is to cut out a part of the dry wall and re-solder the part leaking or connect it again with the current nut/bolt pipe parts

help
(Note: Blue on the picture is where the water was, the water does not leak during cold water use, and the pipe marked in red is delivering the hot water to the sink)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20191019_154234897_iOS.jpg
    thumbnail_20191019_154234897_iOS.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 43
If a pipe is leaking water inside the wall then cut the wall out and repair it.

It’s really not more difficult to patch a 30” square in the drywall than a 12” square hole in the drywall.

So just cut a hole and find the leak if you for sure have one.

No, your hot water is not hot enough to compromise a solder joint.

There are tools to look into walls, like handheld cameras. It’s all about how much money you want to spend to buy them. Or just cut a hole.......

The leak could be caused by a few things. Installation error or damage during or after construction.

Saw these videos, would turbulence, water speed, water pressure cause my pipe to open at solder joints? I still have to open my walls but these videos resonated with my problems. This install was very new <8months so I am worried about other issues

Saw these videos, would turbulence, water speed, water pressure cause my pipe to open at solder joints? I still have to open my walls but these videos resonated with my problems. This install was very new <8months so I am worried about other issues

Highly unlikely

Ok so what would cause a pin hole or pipe leak only after 8 months of use. Work was done my a licensed plumber and also passed inspection. And this worked without any issues for 8 months or so… so starnge.

Ok so what would cause a pin hole or pipe leak only after 8 months of use. Work was done my a licensed plumber and also passed inspection. And this worked without any issues for 8 months or so… so starnge.

Open the wall so we can find out.

100% will need to .... waiting for my $299 thermal camera so I can get the correct location to create an access panel. I am planning to create and keep an access panel short term until this issue stays resolved for a bit. Very unnerving, glad I wasn't sleeping when this leak happened as it could have been worse. Stay tuned

So I opened the walls only to learn the problem was not the copper pipes. They didn’t have any leaks. The problem was the hot water supply valve outside the wall that is connected to the washer inlet pipe. After daily use it was loose and was dripping water. I fixed the problem but replacing a torn washer and tightening the value

Here get this one.... [URL unfurl="true" said:
There's a bargain on one of these, refurbed of course, on that famous auction site for thousands less and a new one for about $12k more with two lenses instead of one. Sadly, shipping was a little too high for my tastes and both seller's feedback was not up to snuff so I decided to pass.

On another note, great to hear that Nycpluminghek got to the root cause and fixed it!

First, a very nice rough in job, I would call up the plumber that did the work, it could still be cover by the guarantee, In my area new work is guarantee for i year

I wishthe plumber bailed and the GC who hired him bailed, so they took the money for all the work and then left me hanging. I can sue them but it’s not worth my time…

so the fix for me was tightening the valve and putting in a new washer. I love how people collaborate on this forum and hence sharing the video.

I do have a follow up question. Would anyone recommend putting a stackable Miele washer/dryer on a dolly?

something like this? The reason is if I have problems in the future I would like access to the hot/cold valves from the front outside the wall. Today my dryer which is stacked and heavy prevents me from accessing these taps.

SPACECARE Mobile Roller with 4 Locking Wheels - Adjustable Furniture Dolly Washing Machine Stand Refrigerator Base Moving Cart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZW9P6BW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YDNZY89AXTZW6DPX2ETP

Attachments

• IMG_1262.MP4
    5.3 MB
I usually suggest that if you have stackable washer dryer that you put shutoff valve in a convenient other wall. Not behind them .

Latest posts

Back