What a job it is

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemachine

Professional
Reaction score
So this is by far not only the biggest sewer replacement I've done but also by the absolute worst. So to start off I get a call and the guy told me his sewer had collapsed, he had 3 companies out there and they all tried to auger it and no luck, so he basically called around to see who could do it ASAP, and even though we are busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest we said we would start the next day. Did a locate to see where it was collapsed and we started digging. It was according to the locate right by the garage. Garage is two years old, I think you can see where I'm going with this. The sewer did an offset under the garage. We're sure that the guys who built a garage drilled a piling either beside or just above the sewer (damn lucky they didnt hit the water either)The ground is extremely unstable so we backfilled the hole, told him the situation and the price was going to change. Since the ground wasnt stable at all, we put shoring in an it was still collapsing on the walls we couldnt shore. Now we have to bore through the collapsed pipe with a special tool I've never used then do our trench less pipe replacement. We can't locate the sewer at the point of the property line so we basically were digging blind, not to mention there was no cc to be found, so couldn't even use that theory. luckily we found the exit point by the house and where it entered into the city sewer. Took us today and yesterday with all of the bull****. And to top it off it's no corrode pipe which is the pipe made of tar paper, total junk. Headed back Monday to get their new sewer line in. By far probably the worst case scenario. I'll throw some pics up Monday.

Yeah no kidding it's an absolute nightmare, and yeah it sure has. They must of been thinking of job security for us in the future haha.

How deep was the line? Did you guys try using 1-1/4" Plywood on the walls before your shoring jacks? Another option is a shield for future jobs like this. I dig deep everyday and have run into just about every problem you can think of with bad soil and how to shore it.

It was ten ft deep and we used metal shoring with jacks up to 500psi. But plywood was gonna be our next option lol. We eventually built a 6x6x8 box and used the back hoe to take it down. Ive never saw such ****ty soil but I'm guessing you have haha, that's basically all you do right Chris?

A shield is a metal box. Four inch thick sides and four inch square shafting going across and it is bolted. You just toss it in the trench and work inside of it.

Also if you are using aluminum jacks you should be pumping them up to 1000 psi min.

We run into soil you cannot even get to hold together long enough to put jacks in. Makes for a headache. That is when you have to 1 to 1 the sides.

Ah ok we did end up using a shield because of the soil, it worked well. And we pumped ours up to 500 psi, but it was like clay mostly and some soft soil. The clay was so saturated with water it fell off in big chunks, and i sure hope i never come across something so bad to make me do a 1 to 1 cutback lol. That would be awful.

I had done a sewer job with a 1 to 1 that was about 15 feet deep. can you imagine the size of the trench on that one. I will try to find some pics of it.

Luckily I wasn't on the project, .it we had a huge job that the builder and owner required 1 to 1 on EVERY ditch. Some of these ditches were 10' + deep. Have I mentioned that I am glad I dodged that bullet?

This one was only about 9 foot deep but you can see the amount of dirt that had to be removed. That manhole interior is 48".

100_0448.jpg

Wow phishfood your lucky you missed that it would have been awful. I absolutely despise digging lol. And wow Chris that's a huge hole. And a monster man hole. That's gotta be hard work when you have to dig deep in sand basically.

Back