wet vent or rough in?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handywannabe

Reaction score
Looking for some advice to hopefuly
save me some work...

The 4” pipe stub seems pretty simple,
drop a toilet on it.

The 2” pipe in the rough-in I'm
assuming would be for a sink or shower. Given the layout this is a
bad spot for me and would like to put the sink (no shower) in the
blue taped off area spelled out as 'area for sink'. I would rather
not have to cut the concrete to use this 2” pipe if I can help it
and that’s where I am looking for some advice.

I've been told as long as the sink pipe
size is smaller than the toilet vent I can wet vent the sink into the
toilet vent. This would save me quiet a bit of work. If I can do
this then my next could questions would be... which pipe is the
correct one to connect to 1, 2, or 3? I'm assuming 1 but I'm not
even sure what pipe 3 would be so I'm really not sure...

If I can connect to one of the pipes
what do I do with the pipe in the rough in? Can I just cap, bury,
and forget? Will it get full of stagnant water and cause odors
somewhere in the bathroom or would the roof vent handle that?

Any thoughts and advice would be most appreciated!

basement (2) (800x598).jpg

What state are you in. Makes a difference from a code standpoint. Also is there any plumbing rough in on the other side of the wall

My guess is pipe 3 is the vent for the shower/ tub drain (square in floor) In the southern states or most midwest states you could cut a tee into Pipe 2 or 3 and wet vent either the shower or water closet. In the west, You can connect to pipe 2 for a wet vent on the water closet. Tee inlet should be one size smaller then the vent pipe.

I'm going to assume your in a western state as you have lots O vents..

Yes on capping the 2" shower/tub drain in the floor. Done all the time.

Some of the codes use to do that, The southern plumbing code used in the southeast US had a single stack vent allowed in it. Maybe one still does, but think it was taken out of the "new international codes". Also was allowed in some citys who had their own code. Most US codes did not allow a single stack waste & vent. Oddly enough it works well enough too. Theres also Solvent, but that's a bit different, though used it a lot in high rise construction..

The west coast pretty much use to require separate vents for everything and most still do it that way. Though the latest code does allow wet venting to a limited degree

Yes, I have seen some of the older homes plumbed as rednip shows. Since I have started in the trade here in Florida, though, I haven't seen a time where it was allowed. I started in apprenticeship school the same year that I started, 1994, and I know it wasn't allowed in the code then. Horizontal wet venting is allowed, and is the most common way to vent a bathroom group.

This I believe is a very very old way we used to install wast systems! The vent is in lead I believe! Some examples can be seen in the uk all pipes are mostly on the outside of the building.

image-3991771897.jpg

Well in the 70's and 80's you could wet vent fixtures other then water closet and I think washer boxes on a single wet stack. Had some 4 story condo's at Ameilia Island, Fl. from about 1980 ish done that way. The wet stack was 2 sizes larger then the largest inlet. Going by memory as its been that long since I did that. Though think I did a few condos on hilton head in the 80's that way too

The photo from the lead pipe day, well the venting is still done that way here, with a few minor changes due to closet trap design.

You can still wet vent on a vertical waste stack, called waste stack venting, under IPC. We do it all the time in apartment buildings, usually on kitchens and laundries.

Back