Wet Cement Smell in Bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwspygirl

Reaction score
House is a tract house built in 1983. I've lived here for 11 years. This smell was here before I moved in. I thought maybe they had put a new skim coat on the walls over the wallpaper and that was causing the smell. I've just lived with it but it's always made me uneasy. Nobody wants a smelly bathroom.

This last year my boyfriend let a leak go without any attention. It caused mold under the sink. I have had professional mold company come out and remediate the mold problem. The sink has been completely removed and about 2 feet of drywall all the way around.

Same goes for the tub. They took out all drywall and remediated all mold around the tub area.

There is no toilet in this area. It's housed in a separate room next door. No smell in there.

It's hard to say for sure but the smell seems stronger in tub area rather than the sink area.

The smell remained even after all mold was remediated. The bathroom is still without sheetrock. I don't want to fix back up until I can find the source of this smell and eliminate it.

I had mold in my kitchen as well that was remediated. There was a leak under the sink and bit of water pooled on the wet cement below. THAT IS THE SAME SMELL COMING FROM THE TUB AREA in my bathroom.

After reading a few suggestions for smelly bathrooms I covered the drain with the stopper in that bathroom and after about 2 weeks the smell that was there for ELEVEN years is GONE!

What kind of problem could this indicate? How could a drain becausing a 'wet cement' smell? Is it possible for the drain to leak? Note: the water had not been run in there from April til November of this year. So it's not like there had been any running water to leak out as it was running down the drain.

Should I have my contractor remove the tub and look underneath? Or does he need to do something to the drain pipe?

The tub drain has a p-trap similar to the ones under all your sinks that seal out sewer gases. They can dry out, allowing sewer gases to escape.

But if you have an overflow on the tub covering the drain will not stop the gases unless you cover the overflow as well.

Now it could be possible that the drain is broken below.
There is a boxed out hole in the concrete and could be holding water but never fills up and reveals itself because the drain is not plugged up beyond the leak.

You say the walls are still open. Maybe it's possible to see under tub with a mirror

Thank you for the info.

The shower was in use on regular basis so because of this I'm assuming the Ptrap couldn't dry out? If so, then I guess it wouldn't be the p-trap.

How much is involved in taking the tub out and looking underneath?

And yes I plan to investigate with a mirror, just haven't had time.

BTW, I have realized that the smell is still there, it's just not nearly as strong.

Back