Wet Bar sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr-Rox

Reaction score
Hi all
I am finishing my basement and am building a wet bar. Do I need to add water hammer arrestors to the supply lines for my sink? I've seen cases where they're present and where they're not. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Thing is - I'm already adding 3 arrestors to the outside lines, since we use timers for sprinklers that shut off hard and cause water hammer. I only want to add them if they're necessary.
Speaking of cost, the cheapest arrestor I found for 1/2" pipe is $20 (including the SharkBite "T" connector). Does that sound about right, or too much?
Thanks!

You can make them cheaper than that if you know hoe to solder. Any chance you know how? Where are you looking for them? I seem to remember Lowes having them for less, but that might have been awhile ago.

you CAN make them for almost nothing, the problem it that field fabricated arrestors become quickly waterlogged ( which is why that are no longer allowed by code ) and need to be drained and then re filled.

Mechanical arrestors are fairly cheap and can be added to the stub outs under the sink as an afterthought should you have water hammer problems after the installation. if you already have arrestors then I would suggest holding off for the time being as they should be sufficiant ( the hammer happens because water is non compressiblle so, in theory they SHOULD be effective anywhere in the line to take up the forces the water creates )

this is my .02c, others here may have differing opinions.

I should also note that code may be different in your area and may allow for field fabricated arrestors, IF you do make your own I would highly suggest putting a stop and drain valve on them so you dont have to drain the entire line to purge them ( a real pain in the ass if your Bar sink is licated in the basement ) .. Highly suggest using mechanical ones.

IMO

hope this helps.
:D

Sounds like a lot of water hammer in the house. Have you checked your water pressure?

Thanks to everyone for your replies - good advice.
To clarify, the only time I get hammer right now is on the outside lines since we have timers with shutoff valves that cause the hammer. 2 of those outside lines will be hidden when I hang the drywall, so I'm going to put arrestors on them since we want to continue using the outside timers.

From what I'm hearing in the replies, I think it would be safer to buy arrestors than try to make them - my plumbing experience could be described as limited, and I would feel more comfortable even if it's a few more $.

Thanks again!!

Somewhat related to the topic, but not a direct response to the original question.

We built an apartment complex last year. Come final trim, we started having a real problem with water hammer when the tub/shower valves were in use. We disassembled the valves, looked for debris, looked for torn/loose washers, not just one of us once but several of us several times. The problem persisted. It took a bit of convincing, but I finally got our project foreman to allow me to install water hammer arrestors on the adjacent lavatory supply piping. The problem went away. The manufacturer of the valves came out, said that some springs needed changing, and paid us to change them. The problem persisted. They had us change more stuff, and so on. The last I heard, they had paid us to put hammer arrestors under the lavatorys.........

We installed the code required hammer arrestors on the icemakers, dishwashers, and both sides of the washing machine box. These were not enough to "arrest" the problem.

Sounds like perhaps high pressure or flow beyond the rating of the arrestors or that the arrestors became somehow waterlogged in the spring change ( some companys that will remain un named have sabotaged these to make a buck and sell more especailly during recession )

I fail to understand why a company would pay YOU ( or your company ) to change something in a product that they already sold... sounds fishy .

I fail to understand why a company would pay YOU ( or your company ) to change something in a product that they already sold... sounds fishy .

Maybe because we install LITERALLY thousands of their water closets every year, and leaving us holding the bag with their defective valves would be a bad business decision, perhaps? :eek:

ahhhh, appologys i miss read.

I was under the impression that the Arrestor manufacturer changed the springs and then you had continued problems. It makes sense now.

*blush*

Hi all - I took a photo of the area for the bar sink. Is this as simple as just connecting up to that stack on the right or does the venting/drain require something more complicated?
Basement

its missing a cleanout on the 2" where it enters the slab ( barett style 2" cleanout ) easy to install. And yes If that t-wye is what you speak of then it is simple as connecting to it as it appears to be already vented.

Back