Well Water System Design

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cae0008

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,
I’m new to the forum here and I’m also new to well water systems for the most part. I have several questions in hopes of someone here being able to provide some guidance. I apologize in advance if any of the below has been posted before but here are the specific details of my circumstances and am curious to know what will the best overal setup to supply sufficient water flow and pressure. Note the barn will be the first place I’m running to and will build the house at a later time.
  • Well depth 350’ yields 20gpm
  • House to be located 150’ from well head and 10’ elevation uphill
  • Barn to be located 300’ from well head and 15’ elevation uphill
  • Barn water demand camper and hose bib.
  • House water demand - 4 bathrooms and all other normal appliances (above average water usage)
  • Desired water pressure at house 60+psi
  • Desired water pressure at barn 40+ psi

With all of that said, my ultimate questions are as follows:
  • What size well pump do I need?
  • Would I need two pressure tanks ? One at barn and one at house?
  • What size pipes do I need from well to house and to barn?
  • I’m mainly looking for as much water pressure as possible as efficiently as possible.

You didn't state where the water table is, the water level in the well is more important than the depth of the well. Sometimes you have to drill very deep to find the water but then it rises to a very high level. The height of the water table determines what pump you need. Are you going to have a well house at the well head for the pressure tank or is it going to be in the barn? I would think a 3/4 - 1 hp pump would be adequate, but it all depends on the water table in the well.

Like RS says we need to know the static water level. If you set the pump at 350' and the water level is anywhere close to that you will need a 2HP, 10 GPM pump. But if the water level is much higher a 1HP as suggested will probably do fine.

I appreciate both of your responses. I haven’t drilled the well yet so unfortunately I don’t have the static water level information. The information I did provide is based on a well site selection report performed by a Geotech. I’ll be sure to provide the missing information once the well is drilled.

on a separate note would you recommend that I have a well house at the well in put a pressure tank there or have a pressure tank at both the house and the barn? What are your thoughts on a small pressure tank with a CSV valve?

thanks again !

A small pressure tank with a CSV is all you need. The CSV itself needs to ne installed prior to any hydrants or tees like to the barn. Then the manifold, tank, and other fittings can go in either the house, the barn, or a well house as seen in the PK1AM kit. But you don't need multiple tanks or in different locations. If all the hydrants and tees are after the CSV kit as they would be in a well house, you can use the PK1A instead.

Latest posts

Back