Well Water Depth

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikanjoe

Reaction score
I am looking at monitoring the depth of water in my well. I have run out of water several times in the past and I don’t like idea of my submersible pump to start pumping air.

Does anyone know if there is such a device available? I am thinking of some kind of pressure sensor installed just above the pump and that sensor would sense pressure of the water above it and would be connected (wired) to a gauge in my basement that would read pressure coming from the sensor.

Pierre

Your submersible should be equipped with a foot valve and so should not be able to become air locked.

I will let the well experts here suggest a product for continuous monitoring, but an easy way to check depth is a weight and a string.

If you want a cheaper way out, the Square D FSG-2-M4 will turn the pump off at a pressure slightly lower than the cut in pressure of the switch. There is a product that has probes that will turn it off at a preset water level, but it's very expensive and hard to install. Then there's the Franklin Pumptec which is around $200.00.

Back