Well pump pressure switch replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspahn

Reaction score
I am preparing to replace my well pump pressure switch- the one that runs the pump when the water pressure gets below a threshold. The articles I have read say to shut off the power supply to the pump then to shut off the valve from the pressure tank to the house and drain the pressure tank. I have a shutoff between the pump and the tank. So the sequence is well > pump > pressure switch > tee to pressure gauge and to valve > pressure tank > softener > house supply. Since I am replacing the gauge and switch on the pump do I need to drain the tank? Can’t I just remove the power from the pump and pressure switch and close the valve then loosen the old gauge and wait for the pressure to dissipate? In this case water spillage is not a problem. Thanks!

You should drain the tank anyway.

They accumulate sediment and minerals.

Open every valve, let the house plumbing drain.
That will flush crud from the pipes, and will restore the trapped air chambers that help to cushion against water hammer.

When you are done, and pressure is restored, flush your pipes and clean the aerators.

You might need to clean the inlet filter at the softener also.

Are you sure you have a valve between the pump and tank? That's pretty rare, and can be a dangerous situation if you were to start the pump with that valve shut. Ours is like that, but the handle is removed from that valve to prevent someone from doing that. It's because we have a high pressure artesian well, 10 psi without a pump running, so the only way to take anything apart is to isolate the well. As others have said, bleed off all the pressure before you take anything apart!

I don't like a ball valve anywhere between the pump and the pressure switch. But with Artesian flow that is about the only way to be able to work on the equipment. Like you said it is best to take the handle off so no one closes that valve inadvertently.

If your pressure tank has a bladder, be sure to check that the bladder is still good, and that the precharge is set to 2-psi less than the cut-in pressure of the new switch.

Latest posts

Back