Well pump leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a city expands, it usually incorporates the individual and farm wells in that area. Over the years I have converted many wells from individual use to municipal use. It doesn't matter if people get city water or have their own well, they still need the same amount of water, which comes from the same pumps and wells. Again, city people are just paying someone else to maintain these pumps and wells for them.

I hope you are wrong about city water eventually being available to EVERYONE. I do not want to live in that world and hope my grandchildren do not have to live in a world like that. But if people don't start at least using the word "overpopulation", you maybe right. Which would be a very bad thing for humanity.

That pump only being a year old and already having gone through a pressure switch is a sign the pump is cycling on and off too much. Was probably what flexed the diaphragm in the back pressure control valve and made it start leaking as well. That kind of pump does not drop in amperage when using a Cycle Stop Valve, but it is still good for it. Fix the back pressure valve, then add a CSV1A directly after the back pressure valve and the pump will last much longer and deliver strong constant pressure as good as any city water.

Last edited:
Enough said.
Apparently not as you continue to reply to this post.

According to the CDC, only 86% of Americans get their tap water from a community or a non-community water system, not the 95% you quoted.

"City water will eventually be available everywhere." You have got to be kidding me! You obviously have never been in the rural areas of these United States. There is NO WAY "city water" or any type of "non-community" water system will be available "everywhere" or even close to "everywhere". As I stated, our family farm is 11 miles from the nearest city water source, across part of Truman Lake, over some pretty steep hills, and through some very rocky terrain. One neighbor is within a half mile, but the next neighbor is over 2 miles away, and the population density gets less the farther you go away from town. And this is rural Missouri. It is obviously worse in places like Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arizona........

"But my point is, if city water is available and it’s good quality it’s best for the homeowner to connect rather than using a well for household needs." I don't think anyone is specifically disputing that. Valveman is pointing out his success with reduced cost of water for both household use and irrigation.

"And you don’t think city water isn’t disruptive to everyone in the pump industry ?" No, I don't think city water is disruptive to everyone in the pump industry. Nor do I think the electric light bulb was disruptive to the gas companies when it came along. It's called progress. However, valveman apparently does have an issue with some pump manufacturers who do not want to entertain a better way to control well pumps. His system makes good engineering sense and it will increase pump life by reducing starts of a pump for a well-supplied water source. In today's culture, many products have an engineered life, sad to say.

Apparently not as you continue to reply to this post.

According to the CDC, only 86% of Americans get their tap water from a community or a non-community water system, not the 95% you quoted.

"City water will eventually be available everywhere." You have got to be kidding me! You obviously have never been in the rural areas of these United States. There is NO WAY "city water" or any type of "non-community" water system will be available "everywhere" or even close to "everywhere". As I stated, our family farm is 11 miles from the nearest city water source, across part of Truman Lake, over some pretty steep hills, and through some very rocky terrain. One neighbor is within a half mile, but the next neighbor is over 2 miles away, and the population density gets less the farther you go away from town. And this is rural Missouri. It is obviously worse in places like Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arizona........

"But my point is, if city water is available and it’s good quality it’s best for the homeowner to connect rather than using a well for household needs." I don't think anyone is specifically disputing that. Valveman is pointing out his success with reduced cost of water for both household use and irrigation.

"And you don’t think city water isn’t disruptive to everyone in the pump industry ?" No, I don't think city water is disruptive to everyone in the pump industry. Nor do I think the electric light bulb was disruptive to the gas companies when it came along. It's called progress. However, valveman apparently does have an issue with some pump manufacturers who do not want to entertain a better way to control well pumps. His system makes good engineering sense and it will increase pump life by reducing starts of a pump for a well-supplied water source. In today's culture, many products have an engineered life, sad to say.
I’m not going to waste my time arguing with you, especially you.

3298D069-122D-4136-9450-F8433E3CC197.jpeg

Just FYI gas stocks plummeted with the announcement of the electric light bulb.

Eventually isn’t a date. Eventually can be a very long time. Eventually everyone will be on public water. It’s trending that way, not toward private supplies.

🤣🤡

You people sure are sensitive to me suggesting city water if it’s available. I wonder why that is ? 🤣

It’s been said that the pump and tank industry doesn’t want their product to last……but fault me for advising people to get city water because we’re on a well forum. Silly……

Oh, you say only 86% are on city supply ……” only 86% “ 🤣.

Ok, off to do what I do……Correct others mistakes and make things work.

Have a good day ✌️

Last edited:
Twowaxhack, you are soooo predictable.

"I’m not going to waste my time arguing with you, especially you." LOL!

My original source was the CDC, but here is one from the USGS.

Home
U.S. Geological Survey
SCIENCE
WATER SCIENCE SCHOOL SCIENCE
Public Supply Water Use COMPLETED
By Water Science School June 7, 2018

Public water-supply systems, which you might know better as the county and city water departments, are vitally important to all populations. These are government or privately-run facilities that withdraw water from rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and wells and then deliver it to our homes, businesses, and schools. The majority of the population (about 86 percent) of the United States nowadays gets their water in this manner. You probably get your home drinking water this way. In the past, when the population was a lot more rural, people used to have to dig their own wells and create storage tanks for their water supply. But with large numbers of people living in bigger cities the public-supply systems do that work for us. All we do is turn on the tap ...oh, and pay the bills.

Perhaps since 2018, 30 million people were added to a "city water" system, or the 30 million people do get some, but not most of their water from a "city water" system, like by trucks, bottled water, etc.

You people sure are sensitive to me suggesting city water if it’s available. I wonder why that is ?

But gee Twowaxhack, I'm not. I'm only sensitive when you misstate facts and read into things that are not said nor implied.

Eventually everyone will be on public water.

That is a statement that flies in the face of logic. While theoretically possible, the costs would be absolutely prohibitive to run a pipeline under a large lake to supply 100 houses. It is theoretically possible to build a tunnel or underwater highway to Europe, but that will never happen.

Enjoy your day, and please do not respond to this post. LOL

86%…..95%……Semantics……🤣

Everyone knows most people don’t have a well pump and we all know a pump with multiple failure points is not as reliable as city water.

We also all know that well water should be tested yearly. We all know very few people bother to test it.

I’m sorry if my facts disrupt the well pump, tank and cyclestop valve market 🤣

Yes, eventually everyone will be on public water services. You don’t seem to understand that eventually isn’t a specific date. It’s a difficult concept for some to understand.

I’m not arguing, I’m educating the ignorant.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, people not only care what I think they actually pay for my opinion.

It’s called consultation fees. I work for several attorneys as an expert witness.

So yeah, my opinion matters.

That’s a real cute internet thingy you found though. 🤣🤡

Back