Well pump issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor123

Reaction score
I have a very odd situation happening that I hope is easy to explain by someone in here.

We recently had our well water stop working. I first replaced our control box and pressure switch and still had no water. I left the breaker off over night. In the morning, with breaker still off, we suddenly had full water pressure again. This lasted about 8 hours (and heavy water use) before we lost water again. At this point I had the electrical checked. The control box and pressure switch were confirmed ok which led me to change the well pump which we confirmed had failed. The new pump went in and we had water again. Everything seemed fine. 24 hours later we noticed a wire was hot and melting in the control box. I Shut power down and called electrician back. We again replaced the control and confirmed all was ok with electric. I decided I should replace plumbing connecting tank (including pressure gauge) so I left the breaker off. Again, with breaker off, we suddenly had full pressure again periodically. Could I be some how have historic piping into a neighbouring property or is this just some kind of residual water in system? We did have a hose incoming to house from a neighbour the second time but with very low pressure. We are getting random high pressure and it will continue even when I shut incoming hose off

With the power off to the pump, water doesn't just magically appear. Either the power is not really shut off to the pump as you think, or you are getting water from another source. With power on to the pump, it is not uncommon for water to just start up magically when the automatic overload in the motor resets itself.

Back