Well line freezing concern

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinzing

Reaction score
Hi all

we’ve just moved to a home that’s on a drilled well and the setup is a bit unique
There’s 2 presser tanks 1st is in the house (no concern here)
The 2nd is in a non heated but insulated garage and I’m worried that it or the well pipe feeding it will freeze in the winter
It only supply’s a hot want tank (already shut down and drained ) a sink and a garden hose
That I won’t need fire the winter months

I’m wondering if there’s a way for me to shut that line down for the winter and drain the pressure tank so I don’t need to worry about it freezing and splitting the tank or inlet pipe that comes in through the concrete and runs along the floor about 8’ to the pressure tank with no shut off valve (the first shut off is on the tanks output side)

I was thinking about justsetting the tank pressure to 0 (haven’t looked in to if that’s even possible yet ) but that won’t drain the well line.
Was thinking about a heating cord for the well line but what about the pipe under the concrete to the well that would still be over the frost line ??

thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Setting the pre-charge on the tank, to zero doesn’t drain it. it should be set to 2-psi less than the cut in pressure of the well pump. And, typically a pressure tank is there to allow enough storage to keep the pump from short cycling. so, it may need to be there to minimize the wear on the pump.

Whether the line can be drained, or not depends on whether there is a valve to shut it off. You can probably add a valve, but the line would still need a drain point to let the water out.

Setting the pre-charge on the tank, to zero doesn’t drain it. it should be set to 2-psi less than the cut in pressure of the well pump. And, typically a pressure tank is there to allow enough storage to keep the pump from short cycling. so, it may need to be there to minimize the wear on the pump.

Whether the line can be drained, or not depends on whether there is a valve to shut it off. You can probably add a valve, but the line would still need a drain point to let the water out.

theres no shut off valve and even if I put one in there’s still the pipe coming through the concrete floor that would still have water in it to freeze
Oh and I just found out it’s called a pit less well so I don’t have access to the piping outside the garage
Sorry I’m still learning all the terms and lingo
As for the storage to lower the pump ware this tank is not connected to the house
There is a controller box in the garage not sure if anything in that would help me from my understanding it’s only for the pump stup up and speed
I didn’t think you could run 2 lines off a well like this I’m guessing there’s a T fitting underground someplace but I don’t understand how the pump knows which tank is under the cut in pressure

Both tanks are connected to the well pump, so they are also attached to the house. The problem with draining is the check valve in the well. The tanks and fittings will drain by simply turning off the breaker to the pump and opening a faucet anywhere until the pressure gauge reads zero. However, the pipe out to the pitless and well will not drain. You can use a brass bleeder orifice installed on a tee about 5' down the well. With no extra check valves above ground, that you don't need anyway, the bleeder will not open until you turn off the breaker, open a faucet, and the pressure drops to zero. Then the bleeder will open and drain the pipe all the way to the bleeder. Another way to drain the system is to pull the pump up off the pitless and the lines will drain back in the well. Then set the pump back down on the pitless.

Back