Well going dry?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah Auman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in a house that has experienced water issues for quite some time. The recent conclusion from a professional is that the well is running dry. Drilling a new well is off the table (landlord doesn't want to put forth the cost) so I'm looking into alternatives. There seems to be enough water to wash dishes and flush the toilet each day, but that is about it.

It is an older well (from the late 80s), if the water table has lowered, is it possible to move the well pump lower? If so is that the job of a plumber and any idea on the estimated cost?

Are there other options that can be considered? Perhaps a water storage container that get's hooked up to the existing piping?

Thanks much for any advice/suggestions.

I would move. Isn't it the law or something that they need to provide a water source?

Those are all options but not for you it's for your landlord to do I wouldn't spend $0.02 to upgrade any property that isn't mine I agree if they're not willing to do that move

contact your local town Hall building department health department and tell them of your situation they might light a fire under your landlord's asss

That is happening in many places, sometimes because irrigation wells are lowering the water table. First option would be to move, but some have their water hauled in to a holding tank (cistern) and pump it from there into the house. They learn not to waste water!

MOVE! If you are living in a place without a constant source of good, potable water, you do not want to live there. If the landlord won't spend the money to fix it, you do NOT want him as a landlord. Yes you can fight it, you can bring in the health department, the city, etc. but all that will take time and some money. You need to live. Get OUT of there. The sooner the better. Doesn't matter what the reason for the water issue is--not your problem.

In many cities, you could start buying five gallon jugs of water, and deducting the cost from your rent, until the landlord fixes your water supply issue.

Your landlord needs a well service company to come and evaluate.

So many possible conditions leading to low output.

I would move. I know that would be a hassle but with the type of landlord you have I would not live there under any circumstances. When your furnace stops working in the middle of the winter what is your landlord going to do? Buy you a used blanket? Is your landlord going to give you a fan if your AC stops working in the middle of the summer? If you lose electrical service is your landlord going to tell you to rent a generator? Are you supposed to take a sponge bath once a week instead of a shower every night?

If you have a pump in the basement you have a shallow well They clog up after 30 yrs or so. The only cure is a new well. If you have an inground pump, you can definately improve your well

A well that only makes 1 GPM can supply 1440 gallons per day, which could supply five houses. All you need is a storage or cistern to store the water in, and a booster pump to supply as much water as you need. Probably cost a couple thousand bucks.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Latest posts

Back