Well constant pressure system...yay? Nay? Pros? Cons?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CSV1A would be set at about 55 PSI because you have a 62 gallon size tank that holds 15 gallons of water. The CSV will maintain 55 PSI constant when running a shower and 45 PSI constant when running 11 GPM sprinkler zone and the pump won't cycle off until you stop using water. The CSV set at 55 PSI won't do anything until your tank is filled to 55 PSI, so when you stop using water it will refill the last 3 gallons in the tank from 55 to 60 at a rate of 1 GPM, which will take about 3 minutes. The CSV setting is different for different size tanks so it doesn't take too long to fill the larger tanks. In this way the CSV will work with any size tank. But as long as you are using more than 1 GPM the CSV keeps the pump running continuously. Because the CSV is keeping the pump from cycling on/off the size of tank is almost a moot point and can be very small.

I just timed a smaller zone. This zone only does 9gpm worth of heads. The pump runs for 2 min 45 sec and off for 1 min 40 sec. I don't understand why there will only be 45 psi with sprinklers and 55 psi with shower. That sounds like my sprinklers will be getting less psi and flowing less water. I am sorry I am slow with this. Again sorry, I am understanding more, but don't have it yet.

I was rounding. It will be more like 49 PSI when running the sprinklers while 55 for a shower. The CSV1A has about a 5 PSI loss when the flow increases from the 3 GPM shower to a 11 GPM sprinkler zone. You can make the sprinklers run at any pressure you want by setting the 3 GPM shower pressure 5 PSI higher than you want the sprinklers. However, a constant 45 or 49 will be much stronger sprinkler pressure than you have now with the pump cycling on/off from 40 to 60 over and over. Timing your cycles the CSV will be saving you 20 cycles per hour.

Thanks. I am not sure I understand why a constant 45 psi with the CSV would give better pressure than the standard 40/60 switch and tank. Would the standard set up have the pressure above 45 for most of that cycle time? Also, any chance that the CSV could cause too much back pressure and be tough on well plumbing? I am leaning towards the CSV, but want to make sure it is right for me and my situation. Thanks.

By the way I checked a smaller zone and that one cycles off for 3 min 40 sec and then turns on for only 1 min 30 sec.

A constant 45 PSI will be stronger than the 40 PSI at the low end of your 40/60 cycle. When cycling and the pressure decreases, the sprinklers are putting out less and less. The pressure usually drags for quite a while below 45 PSI until it gets down to 40 and the pump starts. Then after the pressure increases above 45 PSI, you will have good pressure for a minute until the pump cycles off again, and the process is repeated over and over. Cycling from 40 to 60 causes the sprinklers to sometimes make little circles and sometimes shoot over the neighbors fence. With a constant 45 or whatever you set the CSV for, the sprinklers will hot the same spot and get the corners every time they go around.

You never did say what pump you have? I doubt the back pressure is more than the CSV or pipe can handle, but that is one thing we check when sizing a CSV. If you know the pump model or horsepower and GPM, also the approximate depth to water in the well, I can easily calculate the back pressure for you. The only time back pressure is a problem is when someone puts in a pump made for a 500' deep well when the water level is less than 100' deep. Even in those cases it is not the CSV that is the problem, but rather a bad choice of pump for the application.

I will get the pump information for you for sure. I checked the Hunter sprinkler charts and they seem to use 45psi as there standard. So a 4gpm Hunter blue nozzle flows 4gpm at 45psi. So, it sounds like a constant 45 psi is acceptable in the industry.

Too much pressure and sprinklers fog instead of throwing big droplets that are much more efficient. Some larger sprinklers are pressure compensated for that reason.

I have a Flint and Walling 4F10S15. The motor is 1.5hp model 431152. It is set at 300ft. Thanks.

Please let me know if the pump and motor information changes anything and which valve and what pressure to set it at. I think I am ready to make the plunge. Thanks.

With that 20 stage 10 GPM, 1.5HP pump and a static water level of 200', there will be 181 PSI of back pressure before the CSV1A. As long as your pipe and fittings are rated for 180 PSI or more the CSV1A will work fine as stated above.

The piping is schedule 120. Is 180 a lot of PSI for such piping? Thanks again.

OK. Then it is time to get in touch with you and order. Thank you.

Would you like me to order from the website or call? Can you set it to the optimal pressure for my situation? Thanks.

Either way is fine. There is a place to add any special setting you want on the web page, or you can call, as we still answer the old fashion way. :)

I sent an email to your website regarding comments that my well guy / plumber had about potential short cycling, leaks and it getting stuck. I was all set to order and have temporarily hit the pause button. I am hoping you can help ease his concerns, which would make it easier for me. Thanks.

I sent an email to your website regarding comments that my well guy / plumber had about potential short cycling, leaks and it getting stuck. I was all set to order and have temporarily hit the pause button. I am hoping you can help ease his concerns, which would make it easier for me. Thanks.

Lol! Been doing this for 28 years now. I can tell you what the well guy/plumber said. "That back pressure is gonna burn up your GD pump. That little tank will cause the pump to cycle itself to death, especially if you have a leak. Pump company will void warranty if you use a Cycle Stop Valve." After all these years I have no patience with a pump man or plumber who doesn't know better. That is a load of horse hockey.

Back pressure is good for a pump. Makes it draw lower amps and run cooler. You can't short cycle a pump that is controlled by a Cycle Stop Valve, because the Valve Stops the Cycling. Even with a small leak and the small tank you cannot short cycle a pump when using a Cycle Stop Valve.

Here is a video/audio of a pump man saying just such things. Show this to your plumber/ well guy and tell him this is how foolish he looks. Lol! He is trying to keep you from having the MOST beneficial system you can for your pump system. The smart ones do this because they understand the CSV will make your pump last 30 years. The rest of them are just idiots and there is no way to sugar coat it.

Latest posts

Back