Well constant pressure system...yay? Nay? Pros? Cons?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to tough it out with the well guy. I may have to install it myself, which is silly because I need the tank tee replaced because of corrosion and they will be installing a softener and neurtralizer. I was looking on your site yesterday and I see there is a valve-LT kit that has a tank tee included. Is that kit more for the smaller tanks. I have a typical blue Amtrol tank. When I was looking up the valve installation pictures, it shows my typical setup and then the smaller setups where the valve is on top of the tank, like in the above video. Does your tank tee apply to my set up or is it more for the smaller set up? I like that your set up was stainless steel. I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks.
BTW, I did see on your site that you adjust the valve to 57 psi with a 62 gallon tank, like I have. I am thinking that my tank will supply the pressure for most toilet flushes and occassional sink uses and that the CSV will really come into play with my irrigation. Do I have this right and why do you adjust pressures for different sized tanks. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes the CSV is adjusted differently for different size tanks, to keep from taking too long to fill larger tanks. But once the CSV is set, you should never have to touch it again. Yes the LT in the PK1ALT means Less Tank. All you would need is one of those flexible 3/4 hoses to connect from the CSV1A to the tank you have.

Like you said the big tank can supply a few toilet flushes before the pump starts, and the CSV will keep the pump from cycling when you need more water than the pressure tank can supply like for irrigation or showers. In that respect the CSV with the larger tank is the best of both worlds. However, you will like the strong constant pressure from the CSV so much you will find yourself standing in front of the shower for 5 minutes or so, waiting for the large tank to empty and the pump to start so the CSV can do its job. :)

I have been running a CSV for about 3 years. 2 homes on well. Love it.

Thank you very much! We rarely hear back from anyone with a CSV after three years or especially 20-30 years. People with a CSV usually forget they even have a pump system. Water just comes out of the faucets dependably and they never have to think about their water system again. That is the way it should be. Once you do the research and get a CSV installed correctly, your water system should be the last thing on your mind. People just get on with normal things in life and don't have to worry about their water. Many times the CSV system lasts so long the house is sold or passed on after the owner dies. The new tenants don't have a clue they even have a pump system, much less understand that a CSV is why their water system is so dependable and long lasting.

We love that the CSV makes pumps last so long. But we hate that after 20 or more years people forget why their pump system works so well. A lot of pump guys will just remove the CSV when they finally have to replace the pump. Then the homeowners start having pressure problems or the pump doesn't last very long and they have to find out about the CSV like it is something new all over again. The normal homeowner should not have to think about their water system. But forgetting about the CSV will cause a repeat of the mistakes, which made the owners in the past find the CSV in the first place. :)

Latest posts

Back