well 240v

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

220ws

Reaction score
maybe a electric issue...
i might shtcan my electric service since they raise the base rate in a recession....
27 bucks before any usage....
anyway....out by the well I can get at the 240v line. I would want to put a generator out there.
can I just put a 3 prong plug on the line and run the well pump with a simple switch???

I am not sure exactlly what your asking in terms of intent, and there are many on here that are more familliar with wells and such who will answer in time. What I Can tell you is that if your pump is designed to run off of 240vac will need possiblle re-wiring unless you are willing to shell out for a geni that can run 240vac, and that you will likely end up paying more to run off of a geni than you would with your electrical company, most people install generators as a source for backup power in the event of a power outage... I am unsure weather the pump would be effected by the Dc voltage over a long period of time.

Im interested in this question myself is the main reason for my response... Sorry im not of more help here.

Last edited:
If you just let the generator run all the time it will cost you a lot more than staying on the electric grid. You can get a generator that starts and stops automatically and hook it to the well pressure switch.

With the price of gas supposedly (which I don't doubt) going to $4.00+ this year, that generator could really cost you dearly.

The other thing is that to start a sub motor, it will take at least three times the amperage than the motors running amps, so the generator itself could be rather expensive.

Back