Weird water heater problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lscotese

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old propane gas BW water heater. It works fine 99 percent of the time, but goes out randomly. In observing how it dies I've noticed the following:
It sounds like gas is still flowing, and the TC indicator light is blinking when it dies.
The flame remains blue as it dies.
The flame does not seem to indicate any strong draft.

I've shared a video link to show the behavior. The problem shows at 2:48 minutes. The early part just shows a bunch of on-off cycles. https://photos..app.goo.gl/c9PzcwgVcCX6vJk99

WH is installed in a garage with adequate ventilation (Gas dryer works fine on interior air)
WH has less than 3 ' of horizontal vent leading to exterior, with draft collar. Wind does not seem to be a factor.
Propane pressure has been checked recently and is 12.5 inches of water.

Any ideas?

I would contact Bradford White,decent service department. Who installed, BW heaters aren't readily available to the public.

If that flame goes out and the gas continues to run (bad, real bad) the gas valve is defective. The one thing you can count on with a water heater is that if the flame goes out, the gas will shut off on its own. Yours doesn’t. Get a new one from BW. Or, call the guy who put it in and have him warranty it.

Are you sure it was retrofitted from natural gas to propane? Usually it comes from the factory set up for NG and has to be feild upgraded for propane use.

I was able to replicate the problem by blocking the vent completely. The flame dies in exactly the same manner, by choking on exhaust. I hadn't installed a draft diverter since the last WH (also a BW) worked for for 20 years without one. The problem was due to VERY minor back pressure caused by an unusual breeze direction. I installed a draft diverter and so far it is good.

The Gas valve does shut off as soon as the TC cools.
What I learned is that when the exhaust gets pushed into the combustion area, the yellow flame is very brief or non-existent.
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

If that gas continues to run...........BOOM. Eventually.

Back