Weird toilet issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambaugh

Reaction score
Hi y'all, new here. Hope everyone is having a great Friday.

We are having an odd problem with the downstairs toilet. Let me start by saying it is not clogged (I will offer proof of this in the explanation of what we have tried) It may also be important to say that all drains are running fine, sinks, dishwashers, full bathtub (in the same bathroom with the problem toilet) etc.

About a month ago, we had roots removed from the main line leading to the septic. Everything was backing up at this time. These were tiny hairlike roots that appear to have entered via a seem. No break was seen with the camera.

As there is no clean out for the line, the toilet was removed and the line augured through the opening in the floor. The roots were about 60 feet out from the toilet opening.

When the toilet was removed, the old wax seal was in pretty bad shape. This is a cheap home depot brand 1.6 gallon low flow toilet that was here when we moved in 3 years ago. The old wax seal was replaced with a Danco Perfect Seal (wax on the floor, rubber against the toilet.) Everything worked great for about two weeks.

Then the toilet quit working. Nothing else, just the one toilet. This was not the identical problem as before so we figured we'd take a look before getting the plumber out again. We pulled the toilet, rented a large 75 ft toilet auger and augured the pipe again. We hand fed the full length of the snake with no resistance. We retracted, turned it on and augured it for half an hour with every head it had...nothing.

We took the toilet outside, augured every hole, clean ever tube including the siphon, cleaned the jets, checked with mirrors, and ran water through with the garden hose. Found no obstructions and the water ran fine. We set it on blocks, filled the tank, it flushed like a dream.

We went back inside thinking it HAS to be the line. Poured five gallon buckets down the opening, crammed it full of TP and poured more water down, ran the garden hose into the house and let the water run non stop. None of this caused a back up. The water ran freely.

We figured, we got whatever it was, set the toilet over the hole, filled the tank, flushed and woosh water went down, flushed again and again it was a properly functioning toilet again! We danced, held hands and sang Kumbaya. Put a new wax seal on, replaced the toilet, flushed and the water just sat there laughing at us and doing a slow trickle down the hole. I think it actually waved while doing the backstroke.

We thought crap, we plugged it with the seal. Took it back off, seal was right where it was supposed to be. No wax filling the outlet, Removed the seal, set the toilet over the hole, flushed and woooosh toilet worked fine and NO, the water was not running out on the floor, not one drop. We washed, rinsed and repeated and it flushed every time.

Put a new seal down, set the toilet, flushed and yep the water just sat there. When it finally trickles down, the water level is very low. We removed the P trap on the bathroom sink, no change, still wouldn't flush. We augured the vent stack, no change. Ran a hose with the water running for about 75 feet down the stack, no change When you flush the toilet air shoots out of the vent stack pretty forcefully.

We cant figure out for the life of us why when you seal the toilet it wont flush. The last two times we used a wax ring with the flange attached. The closet flange for the toilet actually sits slightly below the finished floor on the sub flooring. The previous owners removed the old flooring completely and just left a cut out around the flange. House is 35 years old.

Plumber is now scratching his head. Any ideas from any of you guys as to what the problem might be or anything else to try? Thanks in advance for any advice.

What a beautiful and descriptive short story! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a professional plumber....I'm just a typical homeowner with 40 years of helping and handyman stuff. One thing you wrote that sticks out like a sore thumb to me in your writing. It is:

This is a cheap home depot brand 1.6 gallon low flow toilet that was here when we moved in 3 years ago.

Many of the newer designed low flow toilets were just plain crap. The newer ones have been redesigned and work like a champ. I'd rip the old one out and replace it with a newer Kohler, Toto, or other well known brand, then let us know how it worked for you.

Thank you for responding havasu. It may come down to replacing the toilet. It's about all that has not been tried.........but, I would love it if someone can provide some explanation as to why it suddenly stopped flushing when sealed. There is no siphon action. That I have figured out but why does it go away when the seal is created? What bad thing, broken thing etc would cause this? Could the flange on the seal be the problem rather than the act of sealing?

From the short story, I am obviously a detail oriented kind of gal. I stared at cancer cells under a microscope and tried to find ways to kill them for many many years. It's hard to lose that minute detail mindset. I don't just want the time, I want to build the clock. :)

Have you confirmed your venting is clear of all obstructions?

Thank you for your work with cancer cells. My daughter just finished her 4th year working with various strains of chemotherapy and determining what it does to offspring several generations down the line. She just graduated with her Master's Degree, and now can not get a job anywhere since they all say she is "over-educated!"

I'm guessing that the vent is clear of obstructions since the auger passed easily, didn't drag a squirrel out of it and the water from the hose down the vent didnt back up anywhere. There is nothing hanging over it but I have heard of all sorts of things crawling down vents.

Sorry your daughter is having a difficult time. Is she still trying to work in research? Odd that they would say master's level is too much. If drug research is where she wants to be, the pharm companies usually welcome master'sand she may well have a special niche skill to offer them. If genetics is her bag, I can see the limitations. We used students or BS as assistants and the actual credited research was by doctorate holders or candidates. If she wants to pursue that then she would be best served by getting into her doctorate work. Usually easier said than done I know. Best of luck to her!

Just to confirm you made sure the toilet is free of obstructions from the toilet bowl, thru the bottom of the toilet? If so, the only thing I can think of is to replace that old crapper.

My daughter was well under way for her doctorate degree, and she was still running the lab, breeding flies (for numerous research projects) and being a multiple teacher's aide. Problem is the university president needed a new jet (I'm just guessing here) so he turned off the flow of money to the 11 doctoral students.

Just to confirm you made sure the toilet is free of obstructions from the toilet bowl, thru the bottom of the toilet? If so, the only thing I can think of is to replace that old crapper.

Yes, The toilet is clear of obstruction. I'm guessing it is some kind of venting issue and that the old seal had enough of an air leak to allow the toilet to flush in the first place.

My daughter was well under way for her doctorate degree, and she was still running the lab, breeding flies (for numerous research projects) and being a multiple teacher's aide. Problem is the university president needed a new jet (I'm just guessing here) so he turned off the flow of money to the 11 doctoral students.

I'm hearing about funding cuts like this more and more. I'm sorry she is having a difficult time and I guess now I am grateful that I retired when I did. But seriously, she could look toward big pharma. I can say things good and bad but they don't cut funding on projects that are going well and will make them money at the end. They would be impressed with her resume and the salary might surprise her. It's a foot in the door for the industry. All of my research was NCI funded but many of my friends ended up with the pharm companies or CRO's that manage their research and MOST of them have had good experinces. I really wish her good luck.

Back