Weird Symmons shower valve problem. I’m a novice folks.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonScott

Reaction score
Folks. I have a 3 year old Symmons S-4700-TRM in my shower. Entire bathroom was gutted and installed at that time. The handle on my Symmons that turns the shower water on and adjusts the water temp used to be “shut off” when it was in the 3 o’clock position. The other day I felt a funny feeling when I turned the shower on and then when I shut it off after showering the shut off handle closed off in the 2 o’clock position. Yesterday after showering it shut off in the 12 o’clock position. The turn off position is shifting for some reason. I also have to really tighten it shut in order for it not to drip. This is new. It worked fine up until a couple days ago. I’ll call a plumber for sure but I wanted to make one attempt to understand and possibly fix this my self.

Any thoughts or ideas will be most appreciated.

sounds like the washer on the back of the stem is wearing out or the (hot)seat is nicked and damaging the washer...is the handle round with 3 points....the only other thing with having to turn off your shower very hard is ...there is a stainless steel ring that holds a large washer in place that may be loosening up sounds like the handle was never positioned properly I usually hav e the top point at 12 oclockthen the bottom 2 points at5 and 7 oclock...onlt other handle sytle I have see would becalled a (tear drop style)
not sure were your from but symmons valves are made in Braintree mass they have a great support staff and they stand behind their products I work at a university in boston and that's the only brand we use

sounds like the washer on the back of the stem is wearing out or the (hot)seat is nicked and damaging the washer...is the handle round with 3 points....the only other thing with having to turn off your shower very hard is ...there is a stainless steel ring that holds a large washer in place that may be loosening up sounds like the handle was never positioned properly I usually hav e the top point at 12 oclockthen the bottom 2 points at5 and 7 oclock...onlt other handle sytle I have see would becalled a (tear drop style)
not sure were your from but symmons valves are made in Braintree mass they have a great support staff and they stand behind their products I work at a university in boston and that's the only brand we use
just checked that style there should be an allen set screw on that handle sounds like it could be loosening up

2A910B91-16B1-4D3F-961B-D21F3C242D9E.jpeg Thank you for the quick response Geofd. Here is a photo of the unit. What do you recommend I do to potentially fix this myself. I have no idea how to even remove the handle.

if the shower is that new when you remove the handle and the the 2 screws for the face plate you will see the shower valve body....there maybe (integral stops) they will look like round brass pieces with a place for a large flathead screw driver...those would shut onl your shower off

I’m not seeing an Allen wrench screw anywhere on the handle. If I could figure a way to get the handle off then I could look at what you described.

that chrome piece on the center of the handle should pop off there is gonna be a screw there
OK. It’s so seemless it’s deceptive. So once I pop that off exactly how should I precede? Also......do I need to turn the main water off in the house while doing this? Again.....thanks very much.

OK. It’s so seemless it’s deceptive. So once I pop that off exactly how should I precede? Also......do I need to turn the main water off in the house while doing this? Again.....thanks very much.
your going to need a stem for the repair...they make repair kits but its much faster just installing a new stem

your going to need a stem for the repair...they make repair kits but its much faster just installing a new stem
That seems out of my league. I’ll call a plumber. I don’t want to take any chances. It’s under warranty. I’m sure labor isn’t covered but that’s OK.

ok the piece around the stem threads off,then the whole face plate....with the diverter leverwill pry off or the black trim ring will come off exposing 2 screws take them out then you will see the whole body

That seems out of my league. I’ll call a plumber. I don’t want to take any chances. It’s under warranty. I’m sure labor isn’t covered but that’s OK.
its easy once you have done it but if your not comfortable with tools its better to call a pro....call symmons and se if they will send you the parts were its pretty new they may send you seats and stem

I’ll call a plumber because I don’t have the right tools. I thank you for your help. You went above and beyond. I appreciate it. I’ll call the people who installed my bathroom. I assume they will know how to cover the parts warranty. I assume labor is not covered.

I’ll call a plumber because I don’t have the right tools. I thank you for your help. You went above and beyond. I appreciate it. I’ll call the people who installed my bathroom. I assume they will know how to cover the parts warranty. I assume labor is not covered.
no problem its easy once you have seen how its done but for piece of mind its worth calling someone call symmons they probably will cover the parts no labor

Latest posts

Back