Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slothy

Reaction score
Hey, a couple months back, honestly probably a year now i went to change my kitchen sink, but when i went under to unscrew and unbolt it i noticed this weird "bolt" i guess that ive never seen before. And i couldnt get it off. As it wasnt such an issue i decided to hold off on the sink replacement but recently i noticed water is leaking from the sink top. So here i am. The red arrow in the picture points to it. Its got 3 holes with the other two opposite of the one in the picture in a triangle. The odd part is they have nothing in the holes and i cant for the life of me get it off. Help would be appreciated!20201224_113813.jpg

Post more pics with better lighting, and show more angles from the other side of all the hoses.
Also post a good pic of the whole faucet, that will help a ton.

My first thought is that the nut is just part of an adjustable locking ring, and the faucet has to be released from above.

20201224_124414.jpg20201224_124629.jpg20201224_124714.jpg20201224_124447.jpg
Alright, here ya go. I tried to get all the angles i could. And i appreciate the help!

It looks like an old Delta faucet, but the faucet pic was blurry and dark.

It looks like that one blurry bolt has to come out, and then that somewhat triangular locking ring can spin off to let the threaded shaft go up through the sink deck and it’s off.

I can’t see the bolt head well, too blurry, might be a hex head or Phillips or slotted or whatever.
Vice grips should be able to grab it to remove it.
You might have to bang on that locking ring to get it to rotate.
Penetrating oil will help it unthread more easily.

You will have to unscrew the sprayer head to get its hose out of there.
Or just cut it.

Thats the odd part, there are no screws
Use a basin wrench on that large nut and it should come off. in your one pic looks like someone may have put some silicone or something in it. You can always put an adjustable wrench on the basin wrench for more leverage

I agree. The bolts may have been removed from the locking ring. Assuming you don’t want to keep or re-use any of it just go at that locking ring. Cut or break it if necessary Once it’s off you’ll be able to pull the faucet out from above

Thats the odd part, there are no screws

Whoever put this in, did it wrong. (I've done MANY of these) There are three set screws (could be two, or four depending on manufacturer) that are supposed to be threaded in at least partially into the large heavy nut prior to install. You are supposed to then, BY HAND ONLY, screw that big nut on to get the faucet in. Then with a nut driver you are supposed to tighten the set screws. The entire purpose of that big nut and the set screws is to PREVENT having to get some big-ass basin wrench or Channellocks in that tight space.

Now you'll have to.

Whoever put this in, did it wrong. (I've done MANY of these) There are three set screws (could be two, or four depending on manufacturer) that are supposed to be threaded in at least partially into the large heavy nut prior to install. You are supposed to then, BY HAND ONLY, screw that big nut on to get the faucet in. Then with a nut driver you are supposed to tighten the set screws. The entire purpose of that big nut and the set screws is to PREVENT having to get some big-ass basin wrench or Channellocks in that tight space.

Now you'll have to.
Rip thanks for the help!

Back