WDI Float Groan & Topping off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vis1798

Reaction score
I have a WDI float and water drains from the white hose attached which I assume is the overflow. It is not constant but the toilet seems to "top off" every 15 or 20 minutes and let out a long groan which is the float cutting the water off slowly. I am experiencing a spike in my water bill and suspect the float to be the culprit. This is happening to two toilets in a house build 9/2013

do you have a wdi flapper or not ? it has an adjustment on the counter weight. on the bottom

or....lower the float assembly, to make it close the valve all the way

pull white pin, turn countr clock wise 1/2 turn..lower

turn back, replace oin

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Im pretty handy with most things. Plumbing being the exception. So here is the set up i have on 2 toilets experiencing the same issue. The toilet keeps topping off the water is slowly leaking out somewhere. From looking at it logically it looks like it would be the flapper but I don't see any water leaking from there

20160312_053621.jpg

do you have a wdi flapper or not ? it has an adjustment on the counter weight. on the bottom

or....lower the float assembly, to make it close the valve all the way

pull white pin, turn countr clock wise 1/2 turn..lower

turn back, replace oin

I posted a pic but after reading your post i think it is the float on these wdi valves. I adjusted one and i am wsiting to see if it tops off again

Is that hose inserted deep into the overflow tube? If so, that's probably your problem. It is siphoning out from there.

Looks like it was the dang flapper. Brand new but leaking. So I replaced both fill valves and floats, the tank was still topping off so I shut the water off to see how long it took to grain and in 20 min the tank was empty. That means I have been dumping so much water down the drain. I replaced the 2 flappers and problem solved.

It's an after thought, but the easiest way to test for flapper leakage is to drop a dye tab or some food color into tank.
if you get colored water in the bowl it's most likely the flapper, BUT not always.
The seat of the flush valve that the flapper sits on can be scratched or even cracked. But that is less likely to be the case. I went through 3 flappers on a toilet once. all 3 leaked, so I had to replace the flush valve.

Back