Watts check valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to the left is a back flow preventor...inspector said that it fail inspection...leak....

That’s a thermal expansion valve. They are designed to discharge water equalize system pressure from thermal expansion. If there’s water coming from the discharge port, it’s working as it should

Why do you think you need to replace what you thought was a check valve?
What type of backflow preventer? It looks and sounds like it could be a reduced pressure zone type backflow preventer.
If it failed did the Inspector say you had to get it replaced? Or fixed?
If it's leaking, I'm guessing the leak is from the intermediate chamber, which is meant to leak/discharge water in the event there's a problem with it. Those things can be expensive but do have repair kits.
If that is in fact what it is, you have to get someone familiar enough with it to be able to test it and determine the problem. The plumbing inspector, if that's who he/she was, wouldn't necessarily know enough about it know.

So what's your real problem???

Just saw the above comment. Is that a water feed to a heating boiler, in which case it would be what is called a, "Dual Check Valve with Intermediate Atmospheric Vent", which is used on the potable water line feeding makeup water to a heating boiler. That is not a testable device.

Was this unit recently installed?
Why was it subject to inspection?

Last edited:
Got some more information. Wilkins 975XL(3/4”). Number two check valve direction of flow failed.

I’m confused. Nothing in the pictures you posted is a check valve. From the description from inspector it sounds like he’s talking about a Reduced Pressure Zone backflow preventer.

The ZURN WILKINS Model 975XL is a Reduced Pressure Zone backflow preventer(RPZ).
RPZ's are equipped with 2 check valves and a relief valve.

OP never posted a picture of the RPZ, so I'm thinking he really isn't familiar enough with what the inspector was talking about to know.

I'm not entirely sure as to what "direction of flow failed" of that 2nd CV means and I was a certified tester. I can only guess it means that the 2nd check valve was allowing water to back up into the intermediate(reduced pressure zone) chamber. In which case it needs to be repaired/rebuilt. The check valves are spring loaded for specific pressure and may have weakened, or seal failed or who knows.
But you don't typically replace one of those check valves, it takes a professional and it MUST be retested. Depending on the jurisdiction, it may be okay for a plumber to rebuild it but it must be retested by a certified tester. Ideally the plumber would be certified for testing.

Last edited:
Diehard, I think “direction of flow failed” means that water discharged from the relief when they worked it. I am a tester also and that is worded wonky. Not many journeymen plumbers here are also backflow testers. They are trying to let testers rebuild backflows, which I think is a bad idea. RP DC’s have a lot going on in that little valve.

That’s the other thing that doesn’t add up here.

Here in Canada, no inspector is going to touch one of these devices, only a certified back flow tester. And they certainly wouldn’t be sending the owner on a wild goose chase to find parts.

Latest posts

Back