Water Tank Fitting Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannac

Reaction score
Put together my water tank faucet with parts help I got here on forum.

Have a leak where my adapter meets the manufacture installed fitting.

Pipe dope to female thread of manufacture fitting and male thread on 2” adapter.

Tightened slowly with pipe (monkey) wrench until original manufacture fitting slightly turned.
Have nothing big enough to hold original manufacture fitting.

Leak seems to be where the arrows are showing in picture attached.

Is there a way to seal this without taking it apart ?

WaterTankLeak.jpg

Last edited:
Take it back apart. Clean all traces of pipe dope. Use some alcohol after it’s all wiped off and no longer visible.

Then go buy you some plumbers goop and use it like pipe dope. Coat it all and screw it together and let it sit for a couple days.

Molded threads are often not perfect.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I did not tighten my adapter / bushing enough as the manufacture's fitting wanted to turn.
I've no way to tighten the manufacture fitting.

Wondering how the heck they tighten that fitting ?

I personally only wrap 2-3 wraps of teflon tape and use T plus 2 Rectorseal pipe dope., Teflon tapes can warp plastic fittings. Get some good dope.

Though I did not use teflon tape ... I did use T plus 2 rectorseal pipe dope purchased from Lowes.

Thanks for reply.

The big nut on the manufacturer's tank fitting can be tightened with two large Channel lock wrenches.

The big nut on the manufacturer's tank fitting can be tightened with two large Channel lock wrenches.
... and an extremely long arm to reach inside that tank. :) (tanks 61" tall )

Thanks.

The tank might have threads molded in. There may not be a nut inside the tank. I can’t see it.

Plumbers goop would be perfect for this since regular pipe dope didn’t work. Just clean it very very good and let it cure for a couple days.

Back