Water stays lukewarm and never goes cold even though hot water has been switched off for a long time

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jogey

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently bought a house built in 2004 by Barratt Developments in Greater Manchester area.

There is a Potterton boiler in the kitchen and a Santon Premier Plus cylinder on the third floor with an immersion heater.

The previous owner installed the tado smart thermostat and Tado works effectively so I can control the heating throughout the house .

I have been experimenting with the hot water in order to find the most economic usage and I have a rather strange problem.

I switched off the immersion heater on the cylinder using the switch in the cylinder cabinet and set the hot water to off in the tado app five days ago after heating up the water for one hour. My wife and I have each had showers for about ten minutes each every day and used the hot water for washing up and so on. However the water just seems to keep on staying lukewarm. It never goes cold.

Why is the water hot when the tado app hot water setting is set to off for four days and the immersion heater is switched to off?

I am concerned because this means I cannot turn off the hot water and so may be getting very high bills.

Any ideas appreciated. Thank you.

Interesting post - it will be interesting to hear replies to this problem from experts.

Greetings and please note that this is primarily a forum with folks here in the United States so replies may be less than one would expect. And, yes, it would be interesting to know what's afoot here.

The only cause that comes to mind from experience is perhaps there is a dimmer of other electronic device miswired and grounded to the plumbing. This can cause the pipe to heat up. It would have to be copper or galvanized

Back