Water softener options

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumb

Reaction score
New to the forum and total novice at plumbing. I apologize in advance for any stupid questions or assumptions on my part.

I’m trying to research a water softener for my home. I’ve been researching for some time and figured i would try to ask the experts here for suggestions.

Anyway, I have a normal sized home with two adults. Our water is really really hard. I live in Louisville, KY for reference. I’m tired of the effects of hard water on my skin and need to correct the problem. I honestly am trying to find a smallish system I can put just the bathroom water on. I’m not really interested in doing the whole house considering we also have a pool out back that will use up a ton of the filtering capacity every year. Of course I’ve thought of the logistics of just having the bathroom on the softener and how that would work with the hot water. Since I have no knowledge of these systems, I am feeling there would be an issue with hot water supply if I am softening the water after the water leaves the water heater. But again, I’d rather avoid doing a whole house system. Is this even possible? Maybe by connecting some sort of bypass valve?

I also have concerns about the ion exchange process. Particularly the salt systems. I have heard that non salt systems just plain do not work to soften water. I guess if there is a way to just use a system for our bathroom only, using sodium in a system won’t be an issue. I just don’t want it in my drinking water. We filter all of our water anyway, and he water quality here is high quality, but I remove all the chemical treatments and chlorine.

Any help would be appreciated.

you may want to do the whole house because it does attack your copper
i installed a couple of ball valves at my brother inlaws and within 2 years
the were rotting from the inside out.....

i didn't know you had pex....you can still do it what i would do is look up hard water filter systems and just tell them the number of fixtures you want it to filter and theycould size it i don't know any companies but
I'm sure someone here will

Last edited:
you may want to do the whole house because it does attack your copper
i installed a couple of ball valves at my brother inlaws and within 2 years
the were rotting from the inside out.....

Not interested in doing the whole house. We have already replaced all the water lines with PEX tubing.

Back