Water softener drain question with photo

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver7

Reaction score
I have a new home 1.5 years old which had the plumbing for a water softener drain line installed by the washing machine.

The drain line was painted by the builder, but the plumber that installed the water softener had to cut it so that it would drain. It is some sort of brass, copper or metal pipe of some kind. I felt it with my hand to make sure.

Around 6 months after they installed it, I saw some green material on the outside of the drain line. I touched it with a rag thinking that it was soft material, but it was crusty and I scraped a little off with my finger nail.

My question is will this material cause an issue with my pipe in the future? If so how do I get it off safely?

pipe.jpg

No problem, just normal green/blue copper corrosion, the softener discharge is salty.

Clean it with vinegar or CLR if it bothers you.

No problem, just normal green/blue copper corrosion, the softener discharge is salty.

Clean it with vinegar or CLR if it bothers you.

Thanks for response Jeff. Could it eventually make the pipe not as strong or damage the pipe if I don't clean it?

Maybe in twenty or thirty years, the opening of the pipe could narrow down right at the end, from mineral crust forming there.

Just poke something hard in there once a year and stir it around, to knock off any chunks hanging at the end.
Like a stubby screwdriver.

Don’t let your poking tool fall down into the drain, put a big wet rag or small towel under it first.

It looks like that copper drain part might just be stuck inside some kind of clamp holder, the rest of the drain might be much larger pvc, you could only tell by being there on site, not from photos.

Meanwhile, forget about it, there should never be any problems there to worry about.

Back