Water shutoff valve (connection type)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsman16

Reaction score
Hi,

I have always had shutoff valves attached to the pipe under the sink attached with a compression fittings. In my current place that doesn’t seem to be the case. Can you tell me is the valve here sweat on? Is it a threaded connection?

I would like to replace them but am not sure.

D9EAE992-7EEE-40DD-9B49-3878B8F8AC32.jpeg
BA599B5E-EE31-4E22-AEB4-77ED95226FEB.jpeg
Thanks,

Thank you both. Yes I couldn’t figure out how the chrome played in. That is what gave me pause and made me think it may have been a threaded end somehow with the other end of the connection in the wall (similar to a shower head pipe)

thanks again

You can probably just replace the guts of the valves, and leave the existing valve bodies as is.

Post a clear pic showing the writing on the oval handles.

They likely sell a rebuild kit for your brand.

Brasscraft, Eastman, etc.

That isn't a chrome sleeve. It's just the copper pipe with some solder wiped into it. If you look at the valve you can see what I'm saying. (A anybody that has actually soldered those stops on.)
If it were me I would just cut off the valve carefully, sand it smooth and install a new compression type angle stop with a 3/8" outlet.

That isn't a chrome sleeve. It's just the copper pipe with some solder wiped into it. If you look at the valve you can see what I'm saying. (A anybody that has actually soldered those stops on.)
If it were me I would just cut off the valve carefully, sand it smooth and install a new compression type angle stop with a 3/8" outlet.
I always like solder on better than compression.

We use compression for stops, with deep escutcheons so you can change them

I have had that happen also. We very lightly dope them to help them slide the tight enough. But I agree it's kinda tough.

The valves/stops of today are so junky we like to be able to change them when we can.

I'd prefer if the market rewarded quality. Instead we get cheap China.

Know that I blew up the pic your right just a soldered valve

Thanks all. It is a brass craft. I was indeed able to find a stem replacement kit to fix the one that was lightly allowing water through when shut for now.

thanks again

I always like solder on better than compression.
Sure, sweat stops are the strongest. But laying on your back inside a small vanity/cabinet and soldering valves above your face is NOT what I would look forward to. From the picture here, it would seem that there is plenty of space to cut it off and put on a compression stop. Clean up the solder on the pipe with sandpaper and it should fit fine.
I always put a little silicone grease on the threads of the nut before I install them. Then the nut goes on smoothly and the ring seals well.

Sure, sweat stops are the strongest. But laying on your back inside a small vanity/cabinet and soldering valves above your face is NOT what I would look forward to. From the picture here, it would seem that there is plenty of space to cut it off and put on a compression stop. Clean up the solder on the pipe with sandpaper and it should fit fine.
I always put a little silicone grease on the threads of the nut before I install them. Then the nut goes on smoothly and the ring seals well.
Personally I would find it more difficult physically to tighten a 5/8 compression nut in the back of a small cabinet rather than soldering the stops on.

I use all kinds of stops, depends on what I have and what’s easiest on that job that day.

Latest posts

Back