Water Service Fitting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildirtt

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here - just a do-it-yourselfer. My water bill usage went up so I had a locater find where the leak was. I dug up near the meter and found an IPS pipe coming from the meter to a fitting. My 1950s house has galvanized service pipe. It's leaking where the steel pipe connects to the fitting. Does anybody know what I have to do to repair this thing? It doesn't look like the best way to connect?
Thanks for any help!
PhilPipe.JPGPipe3.JPGPipe4.jpg

Galvanized pipe for water has reached the end of its service life. You can do the excavation if you need to “save” money. Have a plumbing contractor replace the line.

I don’t see any galvanized in the pics. Looks like brass to me.

And some sdr7 poly tube.

Dig more out and take pics of the metal pipe…..use a wire brush or sandpaper to clean the pipe up

By golly, it is copper. Good eye! Sandpapering shows bright copper. Sorry about that.
Is it a Legend fitting? And all I have to do is find the end piece that switches over to 3/4"?
Pipe5.jpg

The fitting in the red box you have drawn looks like a push-fit sharkbite type fitting. But it’s difficult for me to tell from the pics.

It looks like a 1” x 3/4” fip pack-joint fitting with a 3/4” mip x 3/4” CTS push fit sharkbite fitting screwed into it connecting to the copper.

It looks like you only need the 3/4 mip x 3/4 push fit sharkbite fitting.

You’ll need to depress the release ring on the sharkbite push fit fitting snd pull it off the copper pipe. There are little plastic tools made for this or you can you a crescent wrench adjust to the proper size to depress the ring. Watch a YouTube video on how to remove sharkbite fittings.

Then unscrew it from you pack joint fitting.

Screw another 3/4 mip x 3/4 push fit sharkbite fitting into the pack joint fitting.

Mark the insertion depth on the copper pipe. Hold the fitting square to the copper and push it onto the copper until you reach the insertion depth mark on the copper.

You’ll need to have plenty of pipe movement to accomplish this. I can’t see the surrounding installation situation so you may have to go about this repair differently but the above instructions are basically what you need to accomplish one way or another.

Thank you Twowaxhack! It's got the 1" IPS on the one side (about 1 1/2' long) and from there it attaches to the meter. I may have to remove it at the meter to make room. I'll get the two tools, Sharkbite pipe wrap and the fitting U134LFZ. It's pouring rain right now - I'll try to get a picture later.

Well, I got the parts and dug over to the meter. Not sure which fitting I can undo to release the IPS section. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ppipe.JPGPpipe1.JPGPpipe2.JPG

Well, I got it exposed but my wrenches can't budge the darn thing. I really don't want to damage the water meter setup (teller?). I guess I'll have to call in an expert...
I sure learned a lot though!
Thanks for all your help!!

Unless there's a specialty wrench I could buy.

Last edited:
You could buy 2- 14” pipe wrenches.

Snap another pic for me.

The first pics you posted of the leak doesn’t match the last pictures of the piping.

Here’s your first pic.
C73C889E-8B6F-4960-82B2-26A0D60C3210.png
Here’s your last pic.
0D5160F6-6EB6-4F0D-BD98-CFB213C82D57.jpeg
This last pic shows a 90 degree turn.

The first pic doesn’t, it shows straight pipe.

I have no idea where the leak is.

The first picture you just posted is where the leak is - where that (what looks like an antique) Sharkbite connects to my water line. It's on the right side of the project.
The second picture you just posted is on the left side - where it takes a jog and connects to the meter array.

union3.jpg

If I hold the red arrow and turn the blue arrow, I might get it?

union4.jpg

Thanks again. I was frustrated earlier.

Latest posts

Back