Water running down taps, poor design or something wrong?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfredbandit

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum. My wife and I purchased a used bathroom vanity recently and it came with two riobel salome faucets. When the water is shut off water will run down the faucet itself onto the counter leaving a mess. I have tried cleaning the aerator with clr but it hasn't helped. Could this be poor design or something else going on? Thank you for any feedback.upload_2018-12-14_8-3-49.png

Although you are not the original owner I would suggest contacting the manufacturer.

Does it shut off completely even though initially it runs down the faucet?

sounds like diehard is on to something...….if its leaking at rest yo have some bad washers or worn stems....have you tried to shut off water under under the sink??????

It isn't leaking anywhere else and there are two of them as it is a double sink and the other also runs down the faucet. The water does shut off completely but there is always a bunch of water that dribbles down the faucet after shutting off the water.

It isn't leaking anywhere else and there are two of them as it is a double sink and the other also runs down the faucet. The water does shut off completely but there is always a bunch of water that dribbles down the faucet after shutting off the water.
It does sound like a design flaw. All my faucets dribble a bit of water after shutting them off. But they dribble into the sink. That spout is so vertical I can see why it would happen. What gets me is that's like a $600+/- faucet. One would think they wouldn't be able to sell a faucet like that.
The only thing I saw from the mfr. was to clean the aerator, which you did.:eek:
Call them up.

Alright, I will call them. Hopefully they have some kind of answer for me. I agree for something that expensive you wouldn't think it could be designed so poorly. Had they not come with the vanity I would never have spent that kind of money on a tap. It would be a shame to get rid of them because they are very nice looking but if I cant get them to stop dribbling what choice do I have. Thank you very much for responding and your help.

Alright, I will call them. Hopefully they have some kind of answer for me. I agree for something that expensive you wouldn't think it could be designed so poorly. Had they not come with the vanity I would never have spent that kind of money on a tap. It would be a shame to get rid of them because they are very nice looking but if I cant get them to stop dribbling what choice do I have. Thank you very much for responding and your help.
I wish you the best of luck. You may need it!

Now that I looked at your photo in full size, it looks like there is some hard water deposits around the lower edge of outlet. That could very well be the cause of the water going the wrong way. Get some CLR or similar mineral deposit remover and try to clean it.

CLR won't always remove stubborn buildup. An acid based toilet bowel cleaner may be more effective. Look for hydrochloric acid in the ingredient list.
Worst case scenario is that it is not buildup but corrosion of the metal itself. You should be able to determine this by trying to scrape a tiny chunk off. If you can scrape a chunk off and reveal shiny metal (or plastic?) underneath then the stronger acid is the way to go. Can the aerator be removed? Soaking for an hour or more might also be required.

Latest posts

Back