Water repipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks in advance . I am going to do my first house repipe this weekend and besides beign worryed as f , I have a few questions 1,too repipe back to back shower valves,with shower and spout , what is my best option for Access ? Meaning do I cut Sheetrock near toilet , do I cut off they're shower panel , do I cut from the outside wall ?
2, is 1/2 inch enough to supply two full back to back bathrooms using a 3/4 x3/4x1/2 under neath the center of the bathroom?

I'm not a professional but if I was the homeowner, I'd request to have an access hole cut in the stucco and add a metal removeable access panel.

Hi guys thanks in advance . I am going to do my first house repipe this weekend and besides beign worryed as f , I have a few questions 1,too repipe back to back shower valves,with shower and spout , what is my best option for Access ? Meaning do I cut Sheetrock near toilet , do I cut off they're shower panel , do I cut from the outside wall ?
2, is 1/2 inch enough to supply two full back to back bathrooms using a 3/4 x3/4x1/2 under neath the center of the bathroom?

Cut the Sheetrock, have the homeowner get a sheet rocker to fix.

You need to supply each with 3/4, it will work with 1/2 but it will not give you sufficient flow if your using multiple fixtures (the w/c will be filling while you wash your hands after you take a dump)

On the hot use a 3/4x1/2x1/2 on each bathroom group (assuming you mean a lav shower toilet)
and a half out the side and a 3/4x1/2x1/2 for the cold.

There's no reason to run 2 groups off a 1/2 supply

We never replace the spout on tub showers unless it's leaking.

On getting to the back to back valves, the other day I was able to get in the crawl, cut a hole in the advantech in the dead space and weasel up in the walls and repipe the valves. But if I wouldn't of been able to do that. I would not have hesitated to cut the sheetrock, and called a sub to fix it back.

Thanks , but it seams I am just going to repipe the risers to the valves . And tell them if they ever plan on remodeling the bathrooms , we can change the shower valves

I would run 3/4 cold to at least the spit to water closets. you can feed both tubs/showers and 2 sinks with 1\2".

I would run 3/4 cold to at least the spit to water closets. you can feed both tubs/showers and 2 sinks with 1\2".

i disagree, pex is not 1/2' it is 3/8'' you are saying to supply 2 showers and 2 lav with a 3/8 line

most families take showers at night or in bunches, getting ready to go out
2 showers will be used at the same time,
the volume of water at the head will be like an old man with a bad prostate taking a leak..dribble dribble

i suggest a 3/4'' line to the 2 showers

i disagree, pex is not 1/2' it is 3/8'' you are saying to supply 2 showers and 2 lav with a 3/8 line

the volume of water at the head will be like an old man with a bad prostate taking a leak..dribble dribble

[emoji1303]

3/8" ?? Inside diameter of a piece of pex I have in my hand is about 15/32"
I don't use pex and I missed that part where the OP said he was using pex.
I guess with the fitting inserted into the pipe the diameter would be a bit smaller. But doesn't he pex get expanded to fit the fittings? how much smaller is the inside diameter of the fitting compared to the pipe?

Doesn't really matter as I was thinking copper and the expense of copper.
Pex is cheaper .
Bigger is always better, so go big, BUT if you have a long run for hot water it will take longer to get that hot water.

If you have low water pressure then that can also be a factor as well.

LOL....pex 1/2'' id is 0.485
type l copper 1/2'' is .569 id

copper type l 3/8 id is .450

so yeah, its what we call 3/8.

and the 1/2'' hot water piping, we have had this discussion before. I totally disagree with that practice.
think it is wrong, have had to repipe because of it.
but i understand, :D you guys are installing under an inferior plumbing code and cant help it. :D
if that was installed here, the inspector would chase you down the street with a pipe in his hand yelling words only my daddy used
and my mom never heard.

-PEX Tubing Technical Specifications-

I think I am beginning to understand the purpose of plumbing with the PEX HOME RUN system is to overcome the reduction in flow/supply rates compared to copper/PVC/CPVC.

I wish I could figure out how plumbing with PEX HOME RUN is cheaper that hard pipe main and branch... Less time (labor) spent... :confused:

LOL....pex 1/2'' id is 0.485
type l copper 1/2'' is .569 id

copper type l 3/8 id is .450

so yeah, its what we call 3/8.

and the 1/2'' hot water piping, we have had this discussion before. I totally disagree with that practice.
think it is wrong, have had to repipe because of it.
but i understand, :D you guys are installing under an inferior plumbing code and cant help it. :D
if that was installed here, the inspector would chase you down the street with a pipe in his hand yelling words only my daddy used
and my mom never heard.
I too, must be under an inferior plumbing code, no one bats an eye when pex is used. I understand the I.d. difference, so it makes sense when some areas consider 1/2" pex to be 3/8"
I have friends in Illinois, one of them is licensed plumber there and that's what he says as well (that 1/2" pex = 3/8")

Is the 3/4" pex considered to be 1/2" then if we follow this rule?

Last edited:
1" main 3/4 " trunk 1/2" branches for kitchen showers and bath tubs. The rest can split branches. Flow rate on faucet is 1.2 gallon per minute. Showers 2.4 is high volume. 1/2" fittings allow maximum 15 gallon per minute. If you crimp then you factor your fittings diameter. Don't matter the size of the store if the door is small to fit through. Your pipe size depends on house size. Imagine they run everything at the same time. Then they will always be happy.

Latest posts

Back